Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hind Sight?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Hind Sight?

Hey y'all,
Anyone have a take on the "Hind Sight"? I would like to do away with my peep but was wondering if this would be a good option. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Hind Sight?

Do a search, there are several threads that discuss them.

I had one on my new Switchback several months ago. Initially, I liked it, but as I used it more and more I had some reservations. For me, I felt that there were two detractors. First, I felt that my shooting was far more suceptable to torque using the hindsight. I think this is because of the shorter sight radius, (similar to a gun, a longer sight radius generally will result in a more stable and accurate firearm). For me, I tended to group well, just left or right some days if I was not very particular w/ my anchor points and grip. The second thing I personally did not like was that I felt that the "X" part on the rear sight tended to obscure too much in low light. When set up as the factory says, with the x on your mid range pin, the cross hairs tend to hide more than I was comfortable with. I had several low light situations where I drew and really had a problem picking out details on the deer, shoulder point/line etc, that I use for aiming points.

Long story short, I took the hindsight off, put in a good peep w/ a sword twilight hunter, .19 pins sight and am back to shooting golfballs at 20 yards and baseballs at 30.

BTW, I gave mine to a coworker who tried it, he took it off and gave it to somebody else.

It might work well for you, good luck.
Hank
Old 12-04-2006, 08:20 PM

ahankster,
Thanks so much for saving me $50+. I was kinda thinking the same thing with the short sight radius and all. Guess I will stick with my peep and Cobra sidewinder radiant...I guess if it sounds too good to be true chances are it is.
SC
Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM

I find the hind sight interesting and will likely get one to at least try out. The following are reviews from those having bought and used the hind sight from the Cabela's home page. I do not know that exact validity of the individual reviews, but other reviews that I have read on other products at Cabela's website, seem to generally have a goodmix of positive and critical feedback. Here you go.

"I have had this product on 2 bows now. I like the fact that it shows you if you are torqueing the bow, the glow in the dark crosshairs are nice too. The major downside is that you lose some sight picture due to the large diameter crosshairs, also it covers the bubble level on the bottom of my front sight. Overall I like it better than a peep sight."

"i purchased the hindsight magnum because i was having trouble
picking up my pins with a peep sight. this product has
improved my aiming and the speed i can come on target
plus my confidence has improved greatly. my arrow grouping
have improved and the ease of installation was a blessing.
i have recommended the hindsight to my fellow bow hunters
and will continue to do so."

"I put this on my mathews this year and have already taken three deer including a nice buck in Illinois. Tunning was very easy and low light visibility is greatly improved. Accuracy is improved as well as there is no peep to twist around or tube to get tangled. I would recomend that everybody switch to this sight."

"Loved the product! Used it the first day of hunting season....I will be back to order more items....Thanks for producing such great products. You Make Texas Hunter's Proud!
Thanks,
~A loyal customer!"

"This product is great. It does take a bit of time to sight it in because it works way different from a regular sight but once you do it works so much better then the old kind. It is much easier to sight through and you don't have to worry about the peep popping out!"

"Great alternative to using a peep. Having shot by instict for many years, the peep was more difficult to adjust to the loss of view when looking for a target. This sight does a great job of eliminating the possibility of the user twisting/torquing the bow at full draw which improves accuracy as well.
The only comment in the other direction I would make it that the cross-hairs, although glow-in-the-dark, blend in with the color of a deer at times, therefore I painted mine with florescent fingernail polish to improve the contrast. Also remover the top two cross hairs to open the field of view. Now I simply rest my pin in the top of the V-notch from the bottom two cross hairs which works nicely.
Good product, helps reduce user error in torquing the string, and also provides a great alternative to the peep."
Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I love mine.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I love mine.
Why do you love yours? Is it for similiar reasons noted in the reviews that i posted? I would appreciate your opinion.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Well I ordered a hind sight extreme, so will give it a whirl when it shows up in a week or so. I will make sure to give an assessment of it after using it for a while in case any others would like the feedback.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

I don't understand the reply that says it is causing more torque. The sight does not cause it, it just shows you that you have the incorrect form or grip on the bow. If you want to be forced to use correct form this product will help you. If you just want to continue shooting with crapy form and don't want to know it just get a peep. IMO.
Do not get the cheap one though. Get the extreme cause the bracket is better built. In fact Sword makes a rear sight that I ordered and I will let you know how that works in a week or so.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM

Rock, I did order to extreme hind sight, as the larger bracket looked sturdier, and it is advertised as putting the front sight out farther than norm.