Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 7/8 inch cutting dia. flies like a field tip? >

7/8 inch cutting dia. flies like a field tip?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

7/8 inch cutting dia. flies like a field tip?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default 7/8 inch cutting dia. flies like a field tip?

As a prerequisite I shoot spitfires,and I have never shot a broadhead that flies the same as a field tip.....I was talking with a fella the other day about broadheads,I was saying"I have never seen a broadhead that would fly the same as a field tip,you will have to sight your bow in with your broadheads".He claimed his fixed blade trophy ridge 7/8 di. flew the same as field tips at 60 yards and beyond,he claimed his bow was sighted in with a field tip and he did`nt have to adjust anything for the broadheads.I think he`s full of crap,can anyone attest to what he is saying? It does`nt seem scientificaly possible,even with a mechanical youre cutting more wind thus slowing the object,causing it to drop faster. If there is a broadhead that flies like a field tip I would like to know about it.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7/8 inch cutting dia. flies like a field tip?

He was using Rocket's Ultamate Steel. I believe Rocket was bought out by Trophy Ridge or something. As a matter of fact, when I bought my broadheads, they had the same broadheads packaged in both company's packaging, on the same rack. They were the same broadhead.

Yes, they hit the same as field points. I just recently bought them and tried them out. Your buddy is correct, they fly true and hit the same place as field tips.

They aren't the only fixed blade to do that. My previous broadheads, Muzzy 75's hit the same in my old bow.

If your bow is tuned properly, they should hit the same or relatively close.

Years ago, I used thunderhead 125's in another bow. They hit the same place.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:33 PM

yep i did'nt think it was possible for the two to fly the same ! untill i learned how to tune a bow correctly. never count on a shop to take the time to tune your bow read alot & do it your self. now some heads are just junk ! I can shoot muzzys 3-4 blade slick tricks thunder heads but they drop about 2 inches don't care for them. walk back tuning is the key for the serious archer.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I HAVE BEEN USIN THE ROCKET 75 GRAIN ULTIMATE STEEL BROADHEADS AND LET ME TELL YA, THEY FLY LIKE FIELD POINTS. I SHOOT UP TO ABOUT 45 YARDS AND WHEN I TRANSITION TO MY FIELD TIPS, OR VISE VERSA, I DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE MY SIGHTS. THE ONLY CON I FIND WITH THEM IS THEY ARE A LITTLE BIT OF A PAIN TO PUT TOGETHER....BUT AS FAR AS PERFORMANCE, IF UR BOW IS TUNED PROPERLY....THEY FLY LIKE A MOTHER....GOOD LUCK...
Old 11-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

They can, but I'm glad my head blows a 7/16" bigger hole. I don't care if they fly the same. Blew a hole in a buck this year, 2 holes actually threw the top side of his chest and out the other at the bottomand the blood trail was sparse for a tense amount of tracking and then it was as if someone turned on the faucet. A smaller hole, I don't care to think what would have happened. He went a long distance. I was amased. I kept telling myself, his reaction was one that told me the hit was on the money.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

You spoke my mind there nodog,I dont plan to change my set up,I want a bigger hole to bleed them out faster,this could be the differance between a gut shot and clipping both lungs,I use 2 spitfires 100 gr.(1 1/2) and 1- 75 gr. rocky premier(1 1/8) if I have an open shot I use a spitfire,and if I have to shoot through grass or leaves I use the fixed blade,in a 3 arrow quiver I have2 mech. and 1 fixed.the 100 gr. mechanical and the 75 gr. fixed blade fly the same,this is why I couldnt believe that a field tip would fly the same as a fixed blade 7/8. always learning