Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands) >

I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)

Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)

Late in the season last year I found out abut "Equalizer" tree stands. After watching the video I decided to buy one and gave them a call. No answer so I left a message and they promptly called back. Stand shipped very quickly andwhen Ifirst received it I was very pleased with the way it set up and worked.
Fast forward to this season. As much as I liked the function of the stand, I was not a big fan of the bench style seat...especially for long sits. I heard that equalizer was offering a new sling style seat and called to inquire about that. Again, no answer, but I left a message that I was interested in the seat and they promptly returned my call. They told me that the seat was on back order and would be available in Oct-Nov. Fair enough, so I ordered one.
Fast forward to last week. Dressed and ready to go, I went to sling my equalizer over my shoulders and the strap that holds the backpacking straps to the stand broke. Had to "rig" it up to be able to haul it into the woods. Two days later I noticed that one of the other straps is frayed and being cut through by the sharp edge of the stand where the strap is attached...the only place it can be attached...by manufacturer directions. I called equalizer to complain. Again, no answer, but instead of leaving a message that I was interested in buying an item, I left a message that I was having problems. Guess what...No call back. Also posted a note on their web site...still no call back.
Fast forward to yesterday. My new sling seat comes in. At first glance I don't like it, but am willing to give it an honest try. Put it on my stand and took it to the woods last night and HATED IT. It's rough, stiff material and probably the loudest piece of gear that I have. After 5 minutes of trying to adjust it I finally took it off and ended up standing for the entire afternoon. This thing is like rubbing sand paper on cardboard.
I have now left another message and web post explaining that I want my money back. We'll see how long it takes them to answer...if they do.
Now, besides the awful new seat, one broken strap and one badly worn strap the thing is also becoming more and more noisy when shifting weight on the platform. Every time I shift my weight the stand makes a creeking or poping noise that I have no doubt would spook a deer if in range.
Right now I can say that the only thing I do like about the stand is the adjustability of it and the quiet cable systems...as compared to my API with the chains.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to put this out there since I have recommended equalizer in several previous posts.
I'll let you know how their customer service turns out and if they are willing to do anything about these problems.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)

Nav, I had problems with them returning calls as well.
I ended up leaving a message asking why they did not return calls, then they called me back.
I am in a business where customer service is the #1 priority, in my opinion they certainly do not know what that is.

Keep us posted on their response.

They might be interested to know that you are the reason for giving them at least 2 other customers
Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Email them this link, bad publicity like this is never good for a company especially with the 100's of thousand members here. This site could make or break a company as far as I'm concerned. There is no excuse for poor customer service but of course, companies come up with them.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM

Wow, thanks for letting us know, after seeing your initial post I was looking into getting one, I was debating between the Equalizer and the Summit Viper SS. I think I'll go with the SS. Yeah, send 'em the link to HNII say!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is no perfect stand. They all take work and time to iron them out as best as possible. Worth the effort if there's something to work with. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE COMES IN ONLY2 VARIETIES, GOOD AND BAD.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. They'll get an earfull from me if I ever run into them and I will for sure not talk well of them when I see someone about to buy one. I have done just that with other products that have not lived up to their hype in places like cabela's. People have put the item's down and thanked me.

Could have told you about the seat. A bench is always better as far as noise goes. My new stand as well as the old ones have a sling seat and for comfort they are great, using it is a pain. I'm cutting the back off and just using the seat next time out with it. Didn't use the back much in the last couple days except for when it poured. Put the umbrella up and settled in for a nice nap. Finished the last couple days with theupper section of the standalmost resting on the base and standing most of the time. Not very comfortable, but got'r done.

It's all a learning curve isn't it.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

I bought one of the stands a year and a half ago and used it last year and this year a little bit. I love the stand itself and had absolutely no problems with it. The only sharp edges I have on mine is the teeth that bite the tree. All the welds and everything are excellent. It does not sound as though they have the same quality control they did when I purchased mine. I know they were made in China when I got mine; it makes me wonder if they have changed manufactures since then since they are so far backordered and you report such poor quality. You are absolutely correct though, they don't have the customer service they should. I had to call them several times just to get mine ordered. If I remember correctly, I think I left a message finally and they did call me back. It seems like just a couple guys running the thing like a very small family business possbily (not an excuse though). I hope you get it all sorted out.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I don't own one of these stands but have looked at the video. Of course the video and all videos about a product makes that product look good. I emailed them twice at different times asking questions about their stands and have always got reply back the next day. Of course they are trying to sell stands instead of taking care of customers problems. I seriously thought about one of these stands but guess I'll keep using my heavy ol man.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

My brother had the same problem with the straps. He calledthem and they had the fix out to him in a couple of of days.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:56 PM

I have owned one for two seasons now. So far so good. I have had a couple of minor complaints and after e mailing the web site I got a reply to my questions. It took several days but I got my answers.
I did put on different back straps, I didn't like the ones that came with it. That has been my only real complaint. I still like my Summit Goliath better but that is a personal choice. If they are at Harrisburg again next year I may try to pick up another one.

But poor customer service will destroy any company if the word gets out.

DetLieut
Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

I finally got in touch with equalizer. Explained my problems to them and my disappointment at them not having returned my calls or e-mails. Their reply to that was that "it's the busy time of the year". I didn't dwell on that issue much, but we did talk about the problems with the stand. They agreed to send me a replacement foot platform and straps. Two days later, FEDEX delivered the box with all of the promised materials. We'll see what happens from here on out.

Quick Reply: I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.