HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)
Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 AM
NavyDeerHunter
Typical Buck

Default I Take It Back...(my recommendation for equalizer treestands)

Late in the season last year I found out abut "Equalizer" tree stands. After watching the video I decided to buy one and gave them a call. No answer so I left a message and they promptly called back. Stand shipped very quickly andwhen Ifirst received it I was very pleased with the way it set up and worked.
Fast forward to this season. As much as I liked the function of the stand, I was not a big fan of the bench style seat...especially for long sits. I heard that equalizer was offering a new sling style seat and called to inquire about that. Again, no answer, but I left a message that I was interested in the seat and they promptly returned my call. They told me that the seat was on back order and would be available in Oct-Nov. Fair enough, so I ordered one.
Fast forward to last week. Dressed and ready to go, I went to sling my equalizer over my shoulders and the strap that holds the backpacking straps to the stand broke. Had to "rig" it up to be able to haul it into the woods. Two days later I noticed that one of the other straps is frayed and being cut through by the sharp edge of the stand where the strap is attached...the only place it can be attached...by manufacturer directions. I called equalizer to complain. Again, no answer, but instead of leaving a message that I was interested in buying an item, I left a message that I was having problems. Guess what...No call back. Also posted a note on their web site...still no call back.
Fast forward to yesterday. My new sling seat comes in. At first glance I don't like it, but am willing to give it an honest try. Put it on my stand and took it to the woods last night and HATED IT. It's rough, stiff material and probably the loudest piece of gear that I have. After 5 minutes of trying to adjust it I finally took it off and ended up standing for the entire afternoon. This thing is like rubbing sand paper on cardboard.
I have now left another message and web post explaining that I want my money back. We'll see how long it takes them to answer...if they do.
Now, besides the awful new seat, one broken strap and one badly worn strap the thing is also becoming more and more noisy when shifting weight on the platform. Every time I shift my weight the stand makes a creeking or poping noise that I have no doubt would spook a deer if in range.
Right now I can say that the only thing I do like about the stand is the adjustability of it and the quiet cable systems...as compared to my API with the chains.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to put this out there since I have recommended equalizer in several previous posts.
I'll let you know how their customer service turns out and if they are willing to do anything about these problems.