Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Womens * vs * youth bows >

Womens * vs * youth bows

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Womens * vs * youth bows

Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Womens * vs * youth bows

OK, this may sound stupid, but please bare with me.

Is there a difference in what could be considered a womans bow? Or is a womans and a youths bow, interchangable terms?

My wife has said she would be interested in trying a bow and seeing if she liked it, but I am not sure where to start looking. ie.. draw weight, length ATA, weight, and the such ( like brands with an assortment to choose from ).

I don't want to go the el-cheapo route. She deservs things as good as I get. I mean she's my wife and I love her and I think if she gets something decent ( GOOD )that would be smooth and reliable, then she might like it more, but then again I don't want to break the bank and her not really like it and have the money invested go to waste.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Womens * vs * youth bows

I gave my wife my old bow. An Alpine Impact X-treme. I took the 60-70# limbs off and put on 40-50. She enjoys shooting it and is getting pretty good. Unless your wife is really small I would stay away from youth models. Get her an adult bow with lower poundage limbs. Take her to a pro shop and let her try a few different models and see what she likes and then let her choose the right bow.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would tend to agree with what txrookie said. Most critical is getting the draw length close to what she should have. Depending on her stature this may rule out a large portion of adult bows. A lot of the companies like Parker, Hoyt, Bowtech and Martin make bows for shorter people. I like to call them draw length challenged.

If you don't know her draw length then measure her wingspan (search) and divide it by 2.5. This should get you in the ball park. Whatever you do do not get a bow that is draw length specific till she has established EXACTLY what it should be. This may take some time (years). Get something that is adjustable possibly over a couple inches anyway. And if you can find something try an be sure she is shooting it at or near the upper end of it's draw length range (better performance).

Don't overbow her. Nothing will kill her enthusiasm quicker than having to struggle with too much weight. Don't tell her what she should be able to shoot. Let her tell you what feels good. In other words, leave the testosterone at home.

I have a lady friend that only hunts with 42# at 24" draw. She has gotten complete passthroughs on her last four deer.

Hope this helps some. Let us know sometime what you two find. Enjoy each other's company.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Thanks guys, I really had not considered a " mans " bow w/ short ATA, and the low pound limbs. I appreciate the point about shooting at the upper end of the draw range. Never even considered it. And no, I am not a brow beater type. I would get it set up and let her make the decisions. I understand , BG, exactly what you are saying..... That's not me at all. But Today , in a Martin ad in a Archery Magazine, I saw one that might work.

B.T.W. - she is 5'1" to 5'2" tall and somewhat petite in stature. No amazon here.... I never wanted to mess with any women who could whip my arse..LOL.

Again, thanks.

God Bless