Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Most Effective Camo Pattern? >

Most Effective Camo Pattern?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Most Effective Camo Pattern?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:09 PM

Default Most Effective Camo Pattern?

I know I have read threads on here on this topic but my search turned up nothing. I am getting ready to spring for some expensive waterproof camo and I cannot decide on a good camo pattern. I hunt in New York state pretty much exclusively and mostly in the mountains and not over fields. I also hunt from a tree stand about 16-20' up. Of the patterns I've looked at most don't seem to have enough "break-up" in the patternto give the illusion of blending into the background. I've looked at 3D seclusion, mossy oak new breakup, realtree hardwoods hd grey, real tree hardwoods green, advantage timber and some asat type patterns. The one I'm leaning towardis realtree hardwoods hd grey.

Which patterns do you guys favor in hardwood areas?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Most Effective Camo Pattern?

The problem is wicchunter, ALL those patterns you chose are VERY prone to "the blob effect" at any distance at all...

Let me do some searching for you; I've got a tad more experience at it than you probably, and -- you're right, there's no need to re-hash those pages and pages of discusion that was played out before.

Let me also add that of the patterns you listed above, I think you favor Hardwoods HD because of the very reasons you'll find touted in the threads I'm going to provide for you.

Hold on, and I'll post 'em in the next post or edit to add them here.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1636332&mpage=1&key=camo&#16 36332

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1637522&mpage=1&key=camo&#16 38612

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1648192&mpage=1&key=camo&#16 48247

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1648543&mpage=1

Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks Greg, that is a good thread. What you call an "open pattern" is exactly what I meant by having enough "breakup". Not sure I like the "white" but it sure looks effective. The asat type camo I have been looking at is Cabela's Predator... they have the fall gray and "deception" which uses more of a cream and brown than gray and white. I didn't consider it because it wasn't water proof... but its on my list now.Also looked at the Cabela's Berber "outfitters" camo as another version of the asat but I think that may "close in" also at distances. I'll keep my eyes posted for Rob's camo test.
This week I'm going to head to Gander Mountain... we now have a store about 40mi from my town and they had a ton of camo last year... maybe I can see some of this stuff in person. Thanks again.

Joe
Old 08-31-2006, 02:39 PM

Just went through the rest of your links Greg... not sure why they didn't show up in my searches? Even searched on just the word "camo". I must have done something wrong.

Predator is definitely on my short list... thank you.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM

Ill throw up another vote for Predator...it is far and away my favorite pattern...

It has hidden me from Kansas, down to Georgia, and back to Maryland, with none of the blob effect that photographic patterns give. Again, my favorite for what its worth...

My 2 cents
Matt
Old 08-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Enigma or ASAT or Predator. Enigma has changed thier pattern recently. All are good, use the same principle. ALl the gucciflauge that you find everywhere blobs out past 25 yards.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

wicchunter, give Jeff a call at www.graywolfwoolens.com and ask him about Wolfskin if you're looking for the absolute best material you can buy in Predator... Turkeystalker mentioned Enigma; it too comes in Wolfskin, and if the company has refined its pattern, it may well be worth looking at too. I think you'll find them at www.enigmacamo.com.

Wolfskin is not waterproof, but I guarantee you it's about as water repellant as you'll find. It would take a serious, serious downpour over an extended period to soak through Wolfskin. It's also extremely quiet and pliable, and is not made up of separate layers with an adhesive between them, which causes other materials with similar properties to get stiff when frozen.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Greg, that is a good thread. What you call an "open pattern" is exactly what I meant by having enough "breakup". Not sure I like the "white" but it sure looks effective.
Also... you probably realize, but SOOOO many people forget... You mentioned you'd be doing most of your hunting 16-20 feet up in a tree -- like 99% of the rest of us. Remember, the deer are ON THE GROUND looking UP at you... Visualize what your background is, and you'll see why I'm so passionate about Fall Gray.

To be honest, the pattern that Predator sells today doesn't have as much white as is pictured here; I'm trying to get them to put more back into it.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Remember that the pictures on Enigma's website have not been updated.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

What I've done in the past because of ineffective rain gear in an open pattern camo is get a good set of thinner rain gear and wear it underneath my outter camo layer. That way I can be dry, warm and have my favorite camo on the outside of the rain gear.

Thanks for the links Greg, it saved a lot of looking. Man, you sure do like that Fall Grey stuff, it seems too white to me. I get the concept of being in a tree but I'd hate to get nailed on the ground especially early season going to and from my stand. I've had that happen on more than one occassion and in that case, I'd even take Mossy Oak over Fall Grey in a green enviroment.

Quick Reply: Most Effective Camo Pattern?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.