Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Bone Buster "ripper" broadhead test results >

Bone Buster "ripper" broadhead test results

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bone Buster "ripper" broadhead test results

Old 11-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bone Buster "ripper" broadhead test results

Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 3 points
Tire 1 point
Accuracy 4 points
Cutting diameter 3 points
Blades 4 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score: 22 with a blade sharpness rating of C

The Bone Buster “ripper” is a 4blade cut on contact style head. The two main blades have a 1 1/8” cutting diameter, and have small cut outs along the entire length, something similar to the serrations on the steel force heads. There are also two small bleeder blades located opposite the main blades. For a 4blade head, it is very compact and as a result the accuracy was very good. The main blades form a “chisel” tip that supposed to aid in the penetration of bone. It is very wide across, looking very much like a wood chisel. In the plywood test the head penetrated the board completely, but barely. In the tire test it stuck in the front, not fully penetrating. One of the “serrations” at the back of the head also broke off. In the steel drum the head penetrated one side with half of the head sticking out the back, but again one of the serrations broke off.
The Ripper heads are not bad, but are not anywhere near as good as Bone busters regular or non-serrated heads. They fly well, but don’t seem to be as durable, nor do they penetrate as well as the standard heads. This is most likely due to the serrations grabbing and pulling on the test materials. I suspect they would do the same to flesh and bone, causing a lot of damage, but limiting penetration. The name Ripper is probably well deserved with this head. The main draw back, other than the back two pieces of blade breaking is getting the head sharp. Out of the package they are not near ready for hunting, and these are even more difficult to get sharp than the regular Bone Buster heads. To be fair though, I have not tried the Razor Rake sharpening tool that Bone Buster sells and recommends for their broadheads. All and all the ripper is a decent head, but for the same money the Standard Bone Buster is much better in my opinion.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-03-2002, 09:16 PM

Default RE: Bone Buster "ripper" broadhead test results

I missed the report on the regular bone buster can you put it up again. I am VERY interested in their broadheads....

Thanx.