Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Starter Bow for my son... >

Starter Bow for my son...

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Starter Bow for my son...

Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Starter Bow for my son...

I am just starting to get into bow hunting. Haven't bought my first bow, but am hoping for a PSE Firestorm Lite for Father's day. I have been practicing with my buddy's bow and my 3.5 year old son has expressed serious interest in learning how to shoot a bow.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and saw a little traditional bow with 9.5 lbs tension. Do you think this would be a good way to start a kid off, or are there other types of bows I should be looking at.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Starter Bow for my son...

I purchased one of those same bows for my son when he was three it worked great for him he had a ball. All he wanted to do is spend some time with his old man. Now that he's A little older I going to purchase a Mathews Gennius Bow for Him on his Birthday.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would start him on the genesis bow from Mathews. It is a little pricey, however resale value is high on them and they are not draw length specific so it will grow with him until he wants to pull more weight.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Banned

Mathews Genesis.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Genisis
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would seriously think about starting him off the way you were originally thinking in traditional. There are no need for wheels, sights and all the gadgets at that age.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Traditional is the best way to start a child into bowhunting(shooting),no bells and whistels to distract them.when they get used to it then go and get them a starter compound,there are many good ones out on the market these days.I just bought my 6yr old a PSE for 39 bucks,and gave the fiberglass traditional to my 4yr old,when my 6yr old gets the hang of it(maybe nxt year)I will buy him the Browning Micro or the Genisis.
Who knows,maybe he will only want to shoot TRADITIONAL.And no he wont get my BW.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pic of my son when he was eight shooting a fiberglass longbow, below that is a picture of him at age 10 shooting a full size recurve, below that is a picture from a few months ago with his Howard Hill Longbow. He can start big game hunting in three years, and I guess if we are not satisfied with his shooting the summer before he hunts we will move him to a compound. Doubt if that will happen though.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick with the conventional approach. I looked at the Genesis today with him, but the bow is just too big for him. There is no way he would feel comfortable with it. I think the traditional starter bow I saw will be perfect for him.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob, Great pics. I bet you can't wait for the first day of hunting season with him.

Cheers,
Old 05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the smile on that little guy. Make sure you keep that photograph and give it to him when he's 30. Odds are he'll still be bowhunting.