Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best COC Heads?

Old 04-11-2006, 02:53 PM

Default RE: Best COC Heads?

The Stinger's did have a problem with their ferrules if they were made prior to 2005. Last year they re-designed the ferrule and made it beefier but many of the prior years models were still for sale at many places. I use them along with the new Buzzcuts which are also awesome. But if you are looking for the BEST COC head then you need to look at the German Kinetics Silver Flame broadhead. It is the only forged broadhead made and as far as sharpness there is no rival. Several tests have been performed on this head. For example shooting it into a broadhead target 50-100 times and it will still shave hair off your arm. They will soon have a 100 and 210 grain available but for now 125/150/185 grain can be ordered. I'm on the waiting list for the new 100 grains.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:24 PM

Of the species you listed, I've used the 100 gr. NAP Thunderhead on my AK/Yukon moose and the 125 gr. 3 blade Muzzy on my brown bear with excellent success. As for Cut-On-Contact heads, I'm now shooting the 125 gr. NAP Razorback but I passed on putting it to the test on a rubbed 9' brown bear last Sunday. I hope I'll be able to let you know how they do soon. I am impressed with their accuracy and I like the idea of the rotating head being able to slide around heavy bone (ribs) rather than having to punch through it. It's just a theory that I haven't seen proof of but it seems that it would increase penetration.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use NAP Razorbak's 100's. Its the first COC broadhead I ever tried. So I can't compare it to any others. I used to use NAP Thunderheads, and before that the old heavy grained razorbaks. I always liked the concept of blades free to spin on the ferrule. If your arrows have alot of spin from offset vanes. A broadhead of this type would allow the arrow to spin upon initial penetration, over stopping the spin upon immediate impact or twisting the head while entering.Anyways the new razorbaks COC worked very well for me. The first buck I took using them, it was a good vital shot. The buck only went 20yds, and dropped! I've never had a deer go only 20yds unless it was spined. Most have went in the 50yd range before piling up. So I was darn impressed with them, and see no reason to try anything else!!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Spike

I put a Steelforce thru the shoulder of a 300lb whitetail- It puched through the skin on the opposite side giving me a beautiful bloodtrail- We had to drive the Steelforce out with a hammer (it went thru the rib on the opposite side) and the Sabertooth was barely bent. I have never seen a better cut on contact head.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The silver flame broadheads are an awesome looking head. The razorcaps are a real good head that I use. Easy to sharpen and hold an awesome edge. Nothing but pass throughs on all my animals last year.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot whitetails/elk/bear with the steelforce hellfire heads and they preformed well until I had one curl badly on bull elk. One thing I didnt like about the steelforce was that they seemed a bit noisy, for me anyway.I then tried the wac ems out and had a blade break while target practicing. Hmmmmmmmm so hereI am in the market for a tough as hell coc head myself. After reading 5 shot's latest broadhead test on the Snuffer SS's I am going to look at them. Also thanks for the info on those German Kinetics, I am going to take a look at them along with a couple heads Elknut pointed me too.