Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best COC Heads?

Old 04-04-2006, 08:34 PM

Default Best COC Heads?

I have been looking into buying some new broadheads and wanted some opinions on the best COC heads. I am looking for toughness and blade sharpness. I have recently been looking into the Magnus Stinger 4 blade, and the Hellfire Premium Titanium and Premium 4 blade, both from Steel Force. I was wondering about the titanium being brittle, and the edge that comes on all three.

Anyone had any good, bad, or otherwise experiences with any of those?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best COC Heads?

Of the three broadheads, I've used the Steel Force (not the Titanium)and I can say they do work very well. They're also quite easy to sharpen and carries a good edge when sharpened properly. A Steel Force head once passed clean through my target and stuck in the solid concrete basement wall. The tip of the BH was slightly bent. I worked on it with my dremel and have since been using it on groundhogs and it's still in use today.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:38 AM

The first deer I ever shot with a bow was an old doe, and it was with the famed Magnus 4-blade Stinger. Lots of guys on the web praise the heck out of this broadhead - I'm not one of them. I didn't make a good shot; it was too high, and it didn't penetrate worth a darn. The deer ran off into the woods, bent the crap out of my then aluminum arrow, and snapped the ferrule of that Stinger clean in half.[:'(] I threw it out, even though Magnus says if one ever breaks, they'll send you free BHs. But, who wants free, crappy broadheads? The deer lived, and I felt like a tiny, little piece of turd for wounding her.[] Since then, I've upgraded the bow, upgraded my skills with the bow, switched to carbon (Axis) arrows, and changed broadheads repeatedly.

I haven't tried Steel Force yet, but I like the looks of them. The best COC I've found thus far are American Broadhead's Sonics and Liberty heads. The Sonics are just nasty sharp out of the package and accurate as can be, but they're small - they don't inspire a lot of confidence IMO - even though I've seen firsthand that they can do an excellent job. The Liberty head is basically the same BH as the Sonic but larger and less accurate, though still a darn good BH. (However, I'm still planning to switch to Slick Tricks next season. )

You can also check out 5shot's broadhead review website, broadheadtests.com.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:11 AM

Windsor,I mean no offense,Im not going to start something here, this is all I will say, then I will be done...Loosing that doe wasn't the Stingers fault, if you placed the arrow better, she would have been on the ground.

I love my Stingers, they are by far the sharpest broadheads Ive ever seen come out of a package, they flew well, and durability was never an issue. I cant speak for the others, but the Stingers were great.

Also, you may want to look at Muzzy Phantoms...
Old 04-05-2006, 02:07 PM

I'm just speaking from my personal experience, Whitehair, and I think you missed my point entirely. My point wasn't so much about the doe (and I think I made clear that I'm the one who made the bad shot), it was about the ferrule of the broadhead breaking. Losing and/or damaging blades is normal, but the ferrule itself? Magnus's website says this: "The quality of construction is unmatched, but you break one, we'll replace it according to our Lifetime Guarantee." It's not like it was shot into a concrete wall or a steel barrel. If the ferrule breaks under normal use, why would I want a free replacement? I would - and did - switch to a different broadhead (NAP Thunderheads at that time - a great broadhead but not COC).

I'm not trying to start anything with the many fans of the Stingers. Too many people use and like the Stingers for them to be anything but a good broadhead, but based on my personal experience, I don't trust them. I don't trust their durability and their sharpness was a far cry from what is claimed. It's entirely likely I just got a bad batch and that does happen to every manufacturer, but as the saying goes: once bitten, twice shy. Bear Claw wanted personal experiences with that broadhead, and I related mine. Yours is different: cheers! that's why there are so many different brands and styles of broadheads.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Stingers (150 grain) as well. They fly great from my longbow, and I took a very nice deer with them last year. Had blood shooting 4 feet on both side of the buck (in the snow). I also like the Muzzy Phantom a lot. Last year however, I could only get them in 125 grain. This year they came out with a 225 grain, which I will most likely be using. Blade sharpness is exceptional on both heads and they can be resharpened easily.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I guessI should have been a little clearer with my intentions. I am looking for good heads to use on Elk, Bear (Black and Brown),Moose, and Buffalo. While I don't have a lot of archery experience with all of these, I would tend to think it takes a head that is tougher than the hordes that work on deer. SoI guess my question should be revised to just that,which of these three are tough, sharp, and durable enough for those critters?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

I use wacem head, sharp out of box,coc,replaceable blades,sharpen
point only with a 11/32 cutting diameter. Designed for elk hunting
originally, very accurate and will put down anything you shoot with it
Old 04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use wac'em.. They are great! Will shoot them forever!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

NAP Razorbak

Quick Reply: Best COC Heads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.