Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Schaffer Generation II rest >

Schaffer Generation II rest

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Schaffer Generation II rest

Old 02-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default Schaffer Generation II rest

The model is the E2, which is the universal model made to fit most bows and I installed it on my '05 Bowtech Patriot. The Schaffer rests can be used as a dropaway or with an optional parts kit, can be used as a regular shoot through rest. Schaffer also makes this rest specifically to fit the Hoyt(TEC-1) and Mathews(MAT-I) bows. It uses prongs similiar to a prong shoot through rest. The prongs can also be adjusted for different arrow diameters or personal preference. I must mention that my model is an '05 and I will be calling Schaffer for the new '06 prongs which are slightly bent for perhaps better containment. The pro shop that installed my new string loop thinks its better as is(he had never seen a Schaffer). I also installed teflon tubes that fit most prong rests(1/8"). The rest also has a small built in broadhead guard. First, mounting the rest is just like installing any other rest using the supplied bolt that mounts to the berger button hole. It also has 2 small set screws to tighten down so the rest will be solid. There are many adjustments that can be made.....vertical, horizontal, spring tension and of course cord length. The cord is served through the down buss cable. What I like about the Schaffer is cord length can be adjusted easily at the rest via a locking screw by lengthening or shortening the cord, then retightening the screw.

Although there are no marks on the rest, it is micro adjustable. Vertical adjustment is done by loosening a screw on the backside, turning the lead screw for up/down adjustment, and retightening the lock screw. Horizontal adjustment is as easy by unlocking the two module screws and a horizonal locking screw, turning the horizontal lead screw, then locking them back down. Spring adjustment is done by loosening the spring cap screw(located on the backside), rotating the cap to the desired tension, and retightening the cap screw. It may sound like there are too many locking screws, but they have a purpose. By using lock screws, then adjusting using "lead" screws, the actual adjustments will not come loose! I'd like to add that Schaffer specifically states in capital letters in their instructions NOT to use Loctite. Schaffer states that all adjustments use lock screws and will not move or loosen.

So far with limited shooting of my 4" feather fletched Beman Black Max/Easton Axis arrows, it shoots like a dream with no clearance problems. Note: I will be shooting my Blazer fletched arrows later this week. Adjustments are in fact easy. Perhaps as impressive is the fact it seems to be influenced little by the length of cord as far as timing, but that may be due to the fact the factory spring tension is correctly set at the factory. Schaffer recommends the prongs to be up at 1"-3" before full draw. I have mine set at approximately 1" before full draw because I want as little as tension as possible on my down cable. Admittedly I may play with this just to see if there is any change, although at this point it seems unnecessary. I have noticed no bounce(goes back to spring tension adjustability).

PRO: solidly built, machining is superb, absolutely no play, light, accuracy and ease of adjustment. I believe this will be one heck of a durable rest.

CON: non-full containment rest(no problem if you don't demand full containment), and a "click" after release where it contacts my shelf(I easily solved that by cutting a tiny, very thin piece of adhesive foam to my shelf where the prongs hit).

In summary, I am very happy with this rest as it has plenty of clearance, adjustability, and durability. I believe this to be a very accurate and consistent shooting rest. Picture below shows rest at full draw point:

Old 02-19-2006, 05:39 AM

Default RE: Schaffer Generation II rest

thanks for the write-up coug. very nice job. (hate seeing that rest up without an arrow on it)
Old 02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

gibblet, I wasn't at full draw....just holding the cord down to show the rest up. But here ya go......

Old 02-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

From what i have seen of this rest I think I would like it.

You got a pic of it with an arrow nocked in the down position?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:19 PM

I bought the same rest as Cougar Mag and mounted it on My 04 Extreme VFT. It has the older prongs as he described. That was my only real complaint is that some times if I drew back quickly the arrow would flip up off the prongs. After shooting it for a while I really liked it but it was noisey. I took my bow to the local pro shop who does sell alot of Schaffer rests to have then make sure I had it adjusted right and to add some teflon silencers.

They put on some schaffer prong covers which were felt and a lot thicker than the teflons I have used in the past. After telling them about the arrow flipping off they installed a set of the new style prongs that do hold the arrow better.

But thats when the problems started. [:@][:@]

I immediately had clearance issues. I shoot Gold Tip XT 7595 with 4" duravanes on a right helical from a Bitz. jig. I saw that I was contacting my cock vane. I tried adjusting the nock position several times over a half hour,and then finally had to move the prongs. This caused other problems with not holdinf the arrow so it did not have an advantage over the old prongs.

With my old Trophy Taker Shakey hunter I had some clearance issues but once I got the nock in the right place no problems. This Schaffer is very tight clearance,all the nocks have to be exact, which I hate since if your nock moves and you dont notice you may miss a buck of a lifetime if it hits the rest. I will note I did not have this problem with the original prongs. this may be in part due to the extra thick prong covers. In addition to the new prongs that are closer together in the center due to the curves. I dont think this would be an issue if you fletching were straight or had a slight offset but helicals are a problem. Since the whole point of a drop away is to eliminate clearance problems I am frustrated.

Itightened the spring tension hopeing it would fall faster and that was the problem, this had no effect. I adjusted the rest to lift right at the lastmillimeter of draw to see if that would help. It did help a little. But I still get a hit on the rest every third or fourth arrow.I cant imagine the trophy taker falling faster. But the TT does fallaway from the arrow while this does more of a straight drop out. It also does not drop down as far. The tech at the pro shop got busy and wasnt able to help much. I will try to go back another time and let him try since they have more experience with the rest.

Imight try the teflon style covers that may be thinner. Then I may try the original prongs, orI may go back the the Trophy Taker.

Sorry if the post is written a little sporatic and choppy.I have a new baby that is giving me hell and I keep running back and forth to the computer

I will try to post pics to show difference in prongs

new style prongs

old style prongs(yes this is on a totally different bow and rest but it gives you the idea)

other pics

http://www.hunt101.com/img/378924.JPG
Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

utahrum300, take off the new prongs and put back on the old with the teflon tubes OR put the teflon tubes on the new prongs. That thick felt looks too thick to me, it might be giving you too much variance. Just a thought. Email me your home address and I will send you a piece of the 3/32" stuff I put on my shelf exactly where the prongs contact the shelf. I don't hear any click from the contact now......all I hear is the shot.

[email protected]
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Cougar Mag, I really appreciate the offer. I have some felt I can put under the prongs to help the click but I want to fix the clearance issue first.

I really think it is the covers. But why isnt anyone else that bought themfrom the shop saying the same thing?

So in my mind it must be something different aboutMY set up.

I was in a rush and the shop got real busy I will go back again later. I will post the results if i get it solved.