HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Schaffer Generation II rest
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Cougar Mag
Super Moderator

Default Schaffer Generation II rest

The model is the E2, which is the universal model made to fit most bows and I installed it on my '05 Bowtech Patriot. The Schaffer rests can be used as a dropaway or with an optional parts kit, can be used as a regular shoot through rest. Schaffer also makes this rest specifically to fit the Hoyt(TEC-1) and Mathews(MAT-I) bows. It uses prongs similiar to a prong shoot through rest. The prongs can also be adjusted for different arrow diameters or personal preference. I must mention that my model is an '05 and I will be calling Schaffer for the new '06 prongs which are slightly bent for perhaps better containment. The pro shop that installed my new string loop thinks its better as is(he had never seen a Schaffer). I also installed teflon tubes that fit most prong rests(1/8"). The rest also has a small built in broadhead guard. First, mounting the rest is just like installing any other rest using the supplied bolt that mounts to the berger button hole. It also has 2 small set screws to tighten down so the rest will be solid. There are many adjustments that can be made.....vertical, horizontal, spring tension and of course cord length. The cord is served through the down buss cable. What I like about the Schaffer is cord length can be adjusted easily at the rest via a locking screw by lengthening or shortening the cord, then retightening the screw.

Although there are no marks on the rest, it is micro adjustable. Vertical adjustment is done by loosening a screw on the backside, turning the lead screw for up/down adjustment, and retightening the lock screw. Horizontal adjustment is as easy by unlocking the two module screws and a horizonal locking screw, turning the horizontal lead screw, then locking them back down. Spring adjustment is done by loosening the spring cap screw(located on the backside), rotating the cap to the desired tension, and retightening the cap screw. It may sound like there are too many locking screws, but they have a purpose. By using lock screws, then adjusting using "lead" screws, the actual adjustments will not come loose! I'd like to add that Schaffer specifically states in capital letters in their instructions NOT to use Loctite. Schaffer states that all adjustments use lock screws and will not move or loosen.

So far with limited shooting of my 4" feather fletched Beman Black Max/Easton Axis arrows, it shoots like a dream with no clearance problems. Note: I will be shooting my Blazer fletched arrows later this week. Adjustments are in fact easy. Perhaps as impressive is the fact it seems to be influenced little by the length of cord as far as timing, but that may be due to the fact the factory spring tension is correctly set at the factory. Schaffer recommends the prongs to be up at 1"-3" before full draw. I have mine set at approximately 1" before full draw because I want as little as tension as possible on my down cable. Admittedly I may play with this just to see if there is any change, although at this point it seems unnecessary. I have noticed no bounce(goes back to spring tension adjustability).

PRO: solidly built, machining is superb, absolutely no play, light, accuracy and ease of adjustment. I believe this will be one heck of a durable rest.

CON: non-full containment rest(no problem if you don't demand full containment), and a "click" after release where it contacts my shelf(I easily solved that by cutting a tiny, very thin piece of adhesive foam to my shelf where the prongs hit).

In summary, I am very happy with this rest as it has plenty of clearance, adjustability, and durability. I believe this to be a very accurate and consistent shooting rest. Picture below shows rest at full draw point: