Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Schaffer Rest Problem? >

Schaffer Rest Problem?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Schaffer Rest Problem?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Schaffer Rest Problem?

I have a Schaffer drop rest on my Trykon. I also have the newer arms that slighly bend up to improve arrow containment. For the life of me I cannot get my fletchings to stop hitting these arms. They do have impants on them for noise reduction. I have turned them every way I can and nothing seems to help. I'm starting to think that the new arms are just a bad design. Any help would be appreciated... I'm getting ready to take off teh Schaffer and go to a QAD.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Schaffer Rest Problem?

I had the same problem and I was told it was the timing of the drop. I didnt get a chance to fix it because I had already sold the rest by the time I heard this. Try adjusting the spring and see what that does.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. Is it possible that the draw cord could be set too short also?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:26 AM

when i'm setting up my drop away i put inch marks on the tip of my arrow. i start by having the drop away come completely up at 1.5" from full draw.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:20 AM

Thanks Gibblet... you just saved me a lot of time trying to figure out if draw cord length could be part of the problem. This forum is worth its weight in gold.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Is it possible that the draw cord could be set too short also?
Yes that is possible, because coming up too fast can make a rest drop too fast resulting in not enough guidance. Every dropaway that I have seen must have the proper timing, some more than others. I have also read about bounce back. If you get a chance to see the video from Vaportrail's Limbdriver dropaway rest, its really neat as it shows the rest dropping just barely before the fletching passes by.

By the way, I use a Schaffer on my Bowtech Patriot BUT have the old prongs and found that 1.5" to 1" just before full draw works best for me and I really like the Schaffer. I'd say the newer prongs might be more of the problem though.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Is it possible that the draw cord could be set too short also?
Yes that is possible, because coming up too fast can make a rest drop too fast resulting in not enough guidance. Every dropaway that I have seen must have the proper timing, some more than others. I have also read about bounce back. If you get a chance to see the video from Vaportrail's Limbdriver dropaway rest, its really neat as it shows the rest dropping just barely before the fletching passes by.

By the way, I use a Schaffer on my Bowtech Patriot BUT have the old prongs and found that 1.5" to 1" just before full draw works best for me and I really like the Schaffer. I'd say the newer prongs might be more of the problem though.
Cougar... now I'm confused? If it comes up too early wouldn't that mean it would stay up too long at release because the shorter cord won't let it drop early enough? Or do I have it backwards in my brain? I think you are right about the newer style prongs... from what I can tell if everything is perfect the fletching will barely miss them... especially with the implants on them.

I did what both you and gibblet recommended... my rest is coming up about 3.5" before complete draw if I measure the draw to the wall... very hard to get a good measurementbecause the cam is ready to flip over.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a draw (or crank) board that really helps with timing drop aways. If you have access to one of those that would be very helpful. Are you in WI?? If so let me know and maybe if you are in the Madison area you could come over and we could play with that. If you can't and you don't get it to work let me know as I am looking to get one of those for mine and I would be willing to talk to you about purchasing it.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

If it comes up too early wouldn't that mean it would stay up too long at release because the shorter cord won't let it drop early enough?
My bad!! You are correct[X(]. I still think the problem may be because of the newer style prongs, but maybe not. You say you rotated the arms themselves or do you mean you rotated the nocks? I also slightly adjusted the spring tension to make it stiffer. This reminds me of the Tiger Tuff rest I once owned that had extended arms for more containment........I ended up filing a bit on each prong to gain better clearance.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM

Yes... I rotated the prongs themselves to try to get the lowest profile. But now I have to lengthen the cord a little and remeasure my nock point.

Quick Reply: Schaffer Rest Problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.