Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What to start with???

Old 12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default What to start with???

OK... I haven't shot a bow in almost 20 years (now 29 years old). I am decided to take the plunge and am going to bow hunt next year. Needless to say I will need equipment.

I want to spend $500-$600 on the bow... (NOT package, just the bow).

I would like to start out with the minimum equipment I would need and kind of on the cheap. I figure the parts could be upgraded as I go on, but I really want to spend my money on the bow.

I DO NOT want any cheap feeling equipment, so if my price range is too low I will wait till I have more. Life is too short in my opinion to have inferior stuff! LOL!

I would like to buy the equipment locally so I could have someone set it up for me and at least get me started.

What dimensions, let-off, etc. should I be worried about (I know NOTHING).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 04:30 PM

Default RE: What to start with???

The best advice I can give you is go to a pro shop. Shoot as many bows as you can. Find one thats comfortable and stick with it. Do not look at price tags!!! If you find one that shoots good and you like,then worry about theprice. The reason I tell you to go to a pro shop is they will set you up. ( correct- draw length, arrows, rest adjustments, draw weight) Just to name a few things. They will anserw all your questions. One otherpiece of advice go with a longer brace hieght 7" or more the bow will be more forgiving to your body form errors. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM

i'd also suggest checking out a few shops and lay low a bit. see how the customers are treated. ask some questions and see how you're treated, and what they say, then do the same at another shop and see what they say. then come back here and check out the info with us, but maybe in the tech forum, and you should be able to figure out who is shooting you straight, and who would be a good person/shop to help you get started.

getting a good pro-shop experience will be invaluable to your future hunting and enjoyment of archery. a bad one can really sour you to no end. take your time.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies... I assumed you would say try'em and see which one feels better... That is why I have a couple more questions.

1) What should I be looking for in terms of "feel". Like in 1911's you look for a good frame to slide fit or bolt rifles you look for a smooth bolt.

2) What companies out their provide the most bang for the buck and which provide good customer service. Is there any I should stay away from? Obviously each pro shop I go to is going to turn me on to the ones they sell, so I just wan a little background.

Thanks in advance, sorry about pestering you guys!