Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Calls?

Old 11-14-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Calls?

I am using a Flextone grunt call that makes mature grunts, Young bucks, Doe grunts and Fawn right now. I just dont thing that this call is loud enough to be herd farther away. There was a 140 class buck running past me about 70yrds away and i grunted about 10 times and he did not here me. Can you guys give me some pointers on what calls and that you are using....and if they are working or not. Thanks a lot.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calls?

I've had mixed success with each call. I think it really depends on the mood of the buck at the time although I have noticed that at times you really need to be a little loud for them to hear at a distance. Last weekend I was able to use a doe bleat on a medium size 8 but it took three fairly loud bleats before he heard me and then came trotting in. I've had good success with a tending grunt at the right time of the year. Sometimes the small to medium size deer don't like to come to a low, deep grunt....for fear of getting their you know what kicked in. Just make sure that if your calling from the same location, repeat your call every 30-45 minutes in case new bucks have comeinto the area.