Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

cock feather position

Old 10-17-2005, 04:55 PM

Default cock feather position

Can anyone tell me the correct posiition of the cock feather when using a drop away arrow rest? I have heard it should be down or it can be to the outside.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cock feather position

Down or up depending on the rest. Which one do you have or are thinking about?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info on the cock feather position. Iwill beusing a Golden Key Futura 3D arrow rest in about a week. Will this change the position of the feather.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cock feather down so it passes between the launchers. I use the Infiniti Drop Away. Same kind of launchers.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

What about a QAD Ultra rest? I've been shooting with it up. I was going to call them and ask because it doesn't say on the package.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Spike

How about with the Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest? I'm guessing cock feather down.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

QAD and Shakey Hunter, or original Trophy Taker, I would shoot them with cock feather up. I would make some changes though to both rests. The QAD I would remove the bar across the top and then cut the prongs to about half their original length. The Shakey Hunter I would cut the forks down a whole lot, too.
My reason are my own and I'm pretty opinionated about it. Most people that need some kind of containment rest need it to keep the arrow on the rest when they draw. Well, in almost all those cases the reason the arrow pops off the rest is because the bow is too long in draw and/or the bow weight is too much for the archer to control. It's that MALE testosterone thing. Of course few will admit it for the same reason.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

QAD and Shakey Hunter, or original Trophy Taker, I would shoot them with cock feather up. I would make some changes though to both rests. The QAD I would remove the bar across the top and then cut the prongs to about half their original length. The Shakey Hunter I would cut the forks down a whole lot, too.
My reason are my own and I'm pretty opinionated about it. Most people that need some kind of containment rest need it to keep the arrow on the rest when they draw. Well, in almost all those cases the reason the arrow pops off the rest is because the bow is too long in draw and/or the bow weight is too much for the archer to control. It's that MALE testosterone thing. Of course few will admit it for the same reason.
I had been shooting cock feather up until I read one of the previous posts, which made me think that it should be down. Guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I like having the holder for those times when I gram my bow from the hook I hand it on in the tree and get into position to draw. The arrow falling off the rest is one less thing to worry about. I am considering cutting the top bar off my QAD. You pretty much have to tip the bow upside down to need that.

Cyber