Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 can call / doe in estrous call >

can call / doe in estrous call

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

can call / doe in estrous call

Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default can call / doe in estrous call

I have heard this is suppose to be a really good call to use. But I have yet to have it work.
Does anyoneknow if there is a certain way this is suppose be used?
I have tried to use it by itself and also by using a grunt call with it.
If anyone has any tricks that they have found that works and brings the deer in with it Please let me know.
Thanks ahead of time for any response to this question.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: can call / doe in estrous call

i never had it work either. it has worked well for will primos and his wallet i bet. at best under the right conditions hunting prime texas or milk river hunting spots it may cause enough concern amongs the 1 to 1 ratio bucks that they muight come in and have a look. in my hunting area a grunt call will send the deer running 50% of the time. i would only use a call if you see a deer heading away from you and you have no chance. if you call blindly you become the hunted and mostly i feel you may scare them off. i have only seen deer (does) come in running 2 times in 12 years of using calls. never had a buck come running in though. the can to me is just a big ole acorn. just toss it on the ground and the deer may come thinking its an acorn
Old 11-18-2005, 07:09 AM

I too only believe in using calls to steer deer back towards you. In 15 years I have turned one deer with a grunt all the way back to my stand )from 70yds.) I have used the can for about 4 yrs now and some deer pay it no attention at all. some stop and look around, but I have never had one turn or act on it. I can only recall a couple of does responding back to it.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Its like any other call or scent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I can tell you that the can call will stay in my pocket at all times. I called in a real dandy 8 point 2 times before I was able to get a good shot angle and release my arrow. He came right in like I was reeling him in with my fishing pole.

Ive had many deer not pay any attention to it at all and some that respond. I have had none that have spooked using it though.

Don
Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto to Don's reply. a month ago I watched a fork walk broadside about 60 yds, turned the can a couple times and it changed directions and came right in looking for another deer. After a few min of searching and sniffing the scent I had out it went back to where it was going in the first place.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Don sums it up perfectly, it won't work all the time, no call will! BUT it worked perfectly for me a week ago on the farm in KS. I was hunting a fields edge, where there was several scrapes made, and I was in a stand about 15' in from the fields edge in a creek. I had tried some rattlin', no luck. The "can" is a call that I mainly use when I can see a deer. I've had mixed results. BUT, on this evening hunt, just before sun down, I spotted a buck crossing the field, not coming to me, but his course was going to take him 100 yards from me. I quickly pulled the can from my pocket and flipped it once, he turned his head like he heard it, but he never broke stride. He was walking quickly, like he had some where to be. So I again flipped it and this time he stopped right in his tracks. I waited only a couple of seconds and flipped it again, BUT I only kept the hole plugged for about a half bleat! He came at a gallop. I quickly stood and readied my bow. He got to the edge of the tree line/creek and started following the edge to me. I drew as he neared the first of two shooting lanes. To my dismay, he turned and entered the shooting lane and stopped, facing my direction at 15 yards. There was a small, but loud, little voice that convinced me to wait for a better shot. He only stood there a few moments before he moved on into the creek, looking across the creek trying to located the doe that he thought he heard. His path took him past me stand at8 yards, and as he got just beyond me, he stopped giving me a simple 10 yard shot, and I drilled him. So, for me, I have had luck with the "can" BUT this is the first buck that I arrowed because of it.

One of my brothers was hunting just a couple hundred yards from me that same evening, he also called in two very young small bucks with his "can", BUT he failed to call in a mature buck that he saw. So, there again, it worked for him, just not on the big buck that he saw.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never had it work for me either.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

funny thing is that years before the can came out you could go into a novelty store and buy the same can type thing that was called a cow caller. it made the same meooew noise when you tuned it over. i think it may just be curiousity that may change a deers movement or what some may say CALL THEM IN again if the competition is fierce during the rut and ratios are closer to 1 to 1 it might work. heck i know a guy that swears a single cough or cigarette smoke calls deer in. i dont think thats the case i think its just that when you create a short odd sound that catchs the deer off moment he cant tell where it came from so the deer starts moving. sometimnes in the direction of the hunter. this happens with gunshots from time to time. i had it happen with my rifle. the deer after shooting ran right twords me. muzzleoaders throw sound kinda strange too. if the deer cant pinpoint where exactly the noise came from he still has to skee- daddle somewhere anyway. if your lucky it can be to you i should become a writer for these magazines but then again i wouldnt have too many sponsors[8D]
Old 11-21-2005, 03:56 PM
swanny evans

I think its just trial and error with the bleats i think it work better if you dont plug the hole the whole time like the guy from kansas said. I have heard does do it a few times and its usually just a little over a half of the lenght of the can noise. And sometimes bucks have over things on their mind and just wont respond or just dont care.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

just curious liquidorange, do you rattle or use a grunt tube? If you do, have they worked for you every time you used them?
The doe bleat is a sound that deer use, not frequently, BUT it is a social sound and one that will not likely spook any deer, such as a grunt call and such as rattling can!!
In my case this year, there was without a doubt, that I got my buck because of the "can". I did try rattling on a number of occasions, and I did see deer running from my setup. They weren't down wind neither. Maybe I was rattling too aggressively, maybe it just wasnt' quite the right time of year. BUT I've never witnessed any deer running away from my location while using a doe bleat!

Quick Reply: can call / doe in estrous call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.