Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Good buy or not? (Help, I'm New) >

Good buy or not? (Help, I'm New)

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Good buy or not? (Help, I'm New)

Old 09-14-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Good buy or not? (Help, I'm New)

Is this Browning Maxim (circa 98?) a good buy for 140 bucks? Apparently it has rarely been used. I would have to buy it sight unseen and go buy my own site and rest. Thanks in advance for any advice, this would be my first bow and I'm not interested in spending too much more until I get a little better/more dedicated.

Here is the seller's commentary: "I am 6 feet tall, but draw length shouldnt be an issue on this bow because it is adjustable from 28 to 30 inches [note: I'm about 5'9" - is this a problem?], 60-80 pounds draw weight, with a 65% letoff."

Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Good buy or not? (Help, I'm New)

Real hard to tell with out pulling it back to hear for squeaks. I think you can do better. I would want one with a peep sight and string loop. And then there is feel. You kind of know when a bow is right for you.It just feels right. You may want to try a pawn shop. Bow shops also carry some used bows completely set up.
Chuck
Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

For one the draw length is probably going to be too long for you. Just estimating you should shoot closer to 27-27 1/2", so iMO this bow is not a good buy at any price. Especially since you can't even shoot it first. Draw length is one of the prime considerations of a compound. If that isn't right then the rest doesn't matter. You'd be much better off getting something that maxes out at about 28" draw to get the best performance from it.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

The price doesn't seem bad but I would agree that it is probably going to be a bit long for you with the 28-30 inch draw setting. You could short string it an inch but that will change the force draw curve, draw weight and overall feel of the valley.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:35 AM

One needs to be leery of buying used bows w/o being able to try them out. As mentioned the draw length will probably be an issue...which is big. Also, price seems pretty high for a bow that old. You can find much newer (better) bows for similiar $$$. Check local bow shop for used bows that you can shoot before you buy.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Excellent... thanks to all of you for the help, I'll pass on it.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

you may have been born at night...but not last night......too much ,too old. and too bad..for you. Consider other options first like... want ads ,ebay, archery shop.....BUT FIRST......do you have a friend that can show you around the bow world??? If not you ...could be a victim of a predator.
What or who got you interested? maybe you can draw from that source
Check this::: This is my first car and I dont want to spend alot of money, the guy said its goodand it only gets 5 miles to the gallon and no refunds. no test drives , Ive got to act now BLAH BLAH BLAH... Dont rush yourself or youll be sorry and bitter at the sport before you get a chance to enjoy it..Also you get what you pay for. Do some research hold your money tightly until youve convinced yourself dont let someone else fool ya..you came close this time!!! Look into an archery class first..youll need this to get a license to bowhunt..this is MANDATORY
Pass it on!! or Pass on it??

If you were left handed Id damn near give you a bow ..ready to shoot with case ..Im feelin like doing a random act of kindness
Old 09-16-2005, 09:26 AM

For that money and a bow that old i think it is a rip. You can go to any pro shop and buy a brand new PSE deerhunter package for $199. I would opt to due that so you can get a brand new bow that is properly fitted to you. Although it is certainly not the ferrari of bows, my buddy had a pass through with it on a nice 8 last year so it is certainly capable. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 AM

i would check out basspro in the store and online and look at the pse nova set up, they will probably have it on sale or will have it soon i got mine last year and its a great bow to start with and i think i spent 180 on it.