Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Slick tricks, Sonics,  Nap crossfires or Crimson Talons >

Slick tricks, Sonics, Nap crossfires or Crimson Talons

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Slick tricks, Sonics, Nap crossfires or Crimson Talons

Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Slick tricks, Sonics, Nap crossfires or Crimson Talons

Has anybody Shot anyof these in 100gr and what is your opinion on them trying to decide which broadheads to try out
Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Slick tricks, Sonics, Nap crossfires or Crimson Talons

Shot them all, but not hunted with, and here is my take on them. In order of preferance.

Slick tricks are my favorite broadhead as you all know. Tough as hell, fly perfectly, cut a huge hole, and penetrate like a hot knife through butter. Blades are not NAP or Magnus stinger sharp but are plenty sharp enough to shave hair from my arm. IMO this is as good as it gets.

Sonics are an excelent head. They fly awesome and are sharp, agqain not as sharp as NAP but definetly sharp enough to shave hair. If put together correctly and tightly they are next to impossible to get the blades to fall out. I will say that the threaded ring can work loose so a little wax or blue locktite would be good here. IMO the cutting diameter is small for my personal preferance but that's not to say that they wn't kill deer just as dead as any other head. Overall an excelent head.

Crossfires are kind of gimmicky. I do not like the very thin furrel in the center of the rotating blade cartridge. This makes for a very weak design and on hard hits or a passthru into the ground can ruin a $12 head.. Being NAP they are definetly sharp and they do fly great but I do not like the furrel design.

Tallons are crap IMHO. Furel is very weak with SIX slots cut into it. Blades are incredibly dull and somewhat weak. They do fly good and should cut a big hole if you can get tehm to push their way through cause they aint gonna cut their way through.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out of all of those I've only shot the Crimson Talons and I wouldn't recommend them for hunting. They've been sitting on my shelf for almost 2 years now. I just don't have faith that they will do the job. [&:]
Old 09-13-2005, 09:18 PM

I have not used any of the above mentioned broadheads, but I saw a guy shooting the Slick Tricks today. They were one of the best broadheads I have ever seen. I would buy a pack of them, but I just bought six Muzzys. I cannot justify buying new broadheads when I have six new ones waiting to be shot. I may buy a pack of them from Buckeyebuckhntr when he picks up the line.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have reviews of all those head on my website www.broadheadtests.com
All are good heads with the exception of the talons, in my opinion anyway.