Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear >

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Old 09-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

after reading a bunch at huntersfriend.com, I measured my armspan out to 75.5"....when calculated came out to a hair over 30". with that, and some basic deductions based on what I read, I was looking at their 'ready to hunt' bow packages, and thought that packages #3, 4, & 5 fell into my line of what I would be looking for.
I have a read the same info on huntersfriend, I have a 75" wingspan = 30" draw length right? Wrong. If you shoot a release with a D loop you need to take about an inch off of that. Ask me how I know this. [:@]They don't say anything about that on their website.[:@]
Old 09-11-2005, 01:01 PM

utah,

kind of off topic, but you have a 27'' drawback length at 5'9'' right? those are my measurements, and you said that you have shot and was impressed by the diamond rapture? my friend has a diamond triumph and thats as close as a rapture i can try out first hand. anyways, what i am getting at, was the rapture a good bow for your size? i would get the triumph, but am on a budget..

thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Bowtech fan,

I shot all three diamond bows. I did not like the triumph, mainly I just do not like real short bows. Had one in the past and it was a disaster. The Rapture felt and shot great. I was worried a little about the ATA only being 33". I shot a demo bow that was not tuned up they just threw on a rest and sight and eyeballed the set up. At 20 yard I started to hit arrows, ruined a few of the pro shops fletchings.
The Victory Solitare wasa littlefaster than the Rapture but both were very smooth to shoot with very little had shock. The Rature was in my price range the Solitare was not but honestly I really fell in love with the Rapture. I shot the Triumph once or twice but once I shot the Rapture I was sold. TheRapture I shot did have a wood grip instead of the black rubber one. I shot one earlier with the rubber grip and the wood was a much better fit for me.

I went in to buy the Rapture and they were sold out or I would own one now. I just happened across my Extreme at the same price and could not pass it up. I have not talked to anyone who owns or that has just even shot a Rapture and was not impressed. I would get the Raptue over the Triumph any day but I am biased against short ATA bows.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: utah300rum

Iwould stay away from the Baby G #5it would not be a great first bow. It has a pretty short brace height. The other two if you look are almost identicle because PSE makes all Browning bows.
I would completely agree with this statement. The first bow I shot was a Baby G that I borrowed from a friend. My pro said they are very hot (fast) bows but also very very unforgiving. Due to the low brace height, a wrist guard is a must with this bow.

When I bought my own bow, I went top of the line at the time and got a Mathews LX. (this was early 2004) I have never regretted it. I have looked at the Outback and Switchback and just don't see enough advantage in either bow to make a change. I was very lucky to have gone to a great pro shop that gave me good advice.

I would suggest to the original poster to look for a good local pro shop if there is one. Shoot as many bows as you can that are in your price range and do as much research as you can on the web. Find the bow that feels the best to you and get that one. As far as accesories, I would suggest Vital Bow Gear sights and rests. I just don't think you can go wrong there.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 AM

I ditto the proshop advice. I went in and told them I was brand news, wanted to spend X amount, but also didn't want to get crud for that so would consider buying used. They set me up with a Parker BuckHunter Outfitter package. Fairly basic compared to some of the fancier bows but quiet and fastenough where "you won't have to trade it in right away if you decide you like bowhunting," according to the proshop manager. I think it cost me $300 with sight, peep sight, rest, and the wrist sling (which you probably don't need but was on the bow). I love it but am sure in a few years those Cabelas and BassPro catalogs that keep coming will convince me to trade it in.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a first bow, I'd go to a proshop and get measured. The wingspan method will probably get you in the ball park, but you need to be sure the bow you are getting fits you or it will not be as enjoyable. Chronic wrist slap isn't something you want to deal with. If you can, shoot a bunch of bows in your price range and see what feels best to you. Package deals at the large chains aren't always the way to go. Between here and archery talk, you can get some good advice. You have a whole year to get the perfect set up, I wouldn't go buy a package and end up replacing half the components over the course of the year. 7" or greater brace height, possibly a drop away rest or whisker biscuit (I never shot one of the WBs but some people swear by them.) If you have any questions on particulars, just ask!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:21 PM

well after some online research I've put together a list of bows I'd like to try out:

- hoyt ultramag
- reflex grizzly
- parker huntermag
- pearson diamondback
- bowtech tomkat

some around the same price range and a few a bit above, just to see if I'd notice the difference betteen the pricier bows...I was able to test out one of the bows on my list tonight...the Reflex Grizzly. At the place I stopped at, we spoke about my experience, or lack of, and what I was looking to do. They pointed me to the Parker Huntermag, and while holding it, I noticed the grip felt narrow in my hand...felt kinda wobbly *shrug*.....then I picked up the reflex grizzly..noticed the grip was wider, and felt solid in my hand. did a test draw on it, and the DL happened to be almost exact for me, at least very darn close...so we grabbed a couple arrows and a release...wow, that is a pretty sweet feeling lettin that arrow fly ..

Drawing the grizzly felt very easy, and hitting the release trigger was very light...glad I was just aiming at a 10yrd target...didn't get a chance to shoot the parker, but hopefully soon, just to compare. So far I feel pretty good about getting into the sport, and it's amazing what just a couple shots can do to a guy! I'm glad I made the 25 mile trip to the shop, nice people, and sounds like they really provide a lot of service before and after the sale.

I hope to test out the others on my list just to compare, but will ultimately purchase from them. They gave me a fair price on the bow and all the accessories to get me started. just a couple questions after tonight:

- GRIP: I cant remember where I saw it, but I thought I read somewhere about the differences between narrow & wide grips...and that in the beginning the wide grip may feel better, but ultimately the opposite is true.

- Compared to the Reflex Grizzly, what other bows out there at or near the $300 mark are comparable? I say 300 b/c after adding accessories, it'll put me around the $500 mark I believe....All I've read about the grizzly has been positive, same with the others on my list..but again, ya'lls feedback is appreciated. now, time for more testing...I understand why the most popular answer around here is "go out and test as many as you can before buying"....

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:13 PM

You may also wanna look at a Mathews FX (used) or a new FX-2. They are the least expensive bows in the Mathews line. You have 2 of the big 3 on your list already, might as well try a Mathews.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 PM

The less contact the bow has with your hand the less likely you are to move the bow on release. That is why you are supposed to shoot your bow with that hand relaxed, not tight on the bow. But again if you dont like the "feel" of a bow dont get it or it will bug you forever.

The list you have there is a pretty good one I have shot the Hoyt, Reflex, Bowtech off your list, I would say my favorite was the Bowtech. I just did not like the feel of the cam1/2, thats just me because there are alot of Hoyt and Reflex fans out there.

Good Luck, Have Fun, that is all that really matters

Let us know what you decide on
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on what Utah said about the grip. My first bow had a nice wide grip, seemed to fit my hand nice. My current bow has a very narrow grip and I'm shooting better than I ever have before. Alot has to do with form and dicipline. The tendancy is to grip the bow upon release for fear of the bow falling out of your hand. A wrist sling helps with this, because you know if you shoot with a relaxed grip the bow won't fall, but its still a mental game. If the grip on the bow is wide, its easier to tighten your grip on it upon release, torquing the bow enough to decrease accuracy. A narrower grip might help eliminate this tendancy. Of course, it boils down to personal preferance, but that's the reason alot of people prefer narrow grips.

Quick Reply: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.