HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear
Old 09-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Buckfu

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

well after some online research I've put together a list of bows I'd like to try out:

- hoyt ultramag
- reflex grizzly
- parker huntermag
- pearson diamondback
- bowtech tomkat

some around the same price range and a few a bit above, just to see if I'd notice the difference betteen the pricier bows...I was able to test out one of the bows on my list tonight...the Reflex Grizzly. At the place I stopped at, we spoke about my experience, or lack of, and what I was looking to do. They pointed me to the Parker Huntermag, and while holding it, I noticed the grip felt narrow in my hand...felt kinda wobbly *shrug*.....then I picked up the reflex grizzly..noticed the grip was wider, and felt solid in my hand. did a test draw on it, and the DL happened to be almost exact for me, at least very darn close...so we grabbed a couple arrows and a release...wow, that is a pretty sweet feeling lettin that arrow fly ..

Drawing the grizzly felt very easy, and hitting the release trigger was very light...glad I was just aiming at a 10yrd target...didn't get a chance to shoot the parker, but hopefully soon, just to compare. So far I feel pretty good about getting into the sport, and it's amazing what just a couple shots can do to a guy! I'm glad I made the 25 mile trip to the shop, nice people, and sounds like they really provide a lot of service before and after the sale.

I hope to test out the others on my list just to compare, but will ultimately purchase from them. They gave me a fair price on the bow and all the accessories to get me started. just a couple questions after tonight:

- GRIP: I cant remember where I saw it, but I thought I read somewhere about the differences between narrow & wide grips...and that in the beginning the wide grip may feel better, but ultimately the opposite is true.

- Compared to the Reflex Grizzly, what other bows out there at or near the $300 mark are comparable? I say 300 b/c after adding accessories, it'll put me around the $500 mark I believe....All I've read about the grizzly has been positive, same with the others on my list..but again, ya'lls feedback is appreciated. now, time for more testing...I understand why the most popular answer around here is "go out and test as many as you can before buying"....

Thanks again.