Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR! >

Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Old 09-29-2002, 04:30 PM

Default Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR!

I put up the two lock on tree stands that I own today. Before I took them out in the woods I decided to try to find what was making the noise when I stood up in them last year. The API AL100 has been quiet as a mouse for two years but last year when you sit down it made a squeking noise. I tracked it down to the seat cusion (which can't be taken off). The under side is nylon and when you stand or sit it makes noise. I was able to turn the part of the cusion that is next to the tree back and hopefully I can keep from getting busted this year. A buddy of mine gave me a model PS1 but the life of me I can't remember the company that made it. It also makes noise when you move in it. I oiled all the pivot points and hopefully this helped. I also have an API grand slam bowhunter climbing stand which works pretty good but is heavy and crocked trees are a chalange.Am I expecting to much out of a tree stand. The one my buddy gave me is old and I can fix the noise it makes or just get rid of it but the API I bought should work better in my opinion.Am I just buying the wrong stands or expecting to much. I like a chain on a lock on stand better than the strap as I feel safer with a chain even though I wear a safety belt. Some suggestions would be greatly appricated. Don

Old 10-02-2002, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR!

No, a stand should be quiet. Check out Lone Wolf they are light and I'll bet Quieter than any stand out there. I bought a Lone Wolf Alpha climber weight 15 lbs. packs quick and easy as a super fast belt system and a one peice cast aluminum platform no joints or welds to squeak or creak or hollow squared tubing to ping or tunk.They cost more, but I think well worth it I do'nt think my other two stands are even going to get used this year.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:35 PM

DoninVA

I have been using the cheap Chinese made chain on stands for the past couple years. These are the kind you can purchase for $39.00 at your local Wally World. They have plastic washers on the bolt connections to remove the squeak. I have two kinds - ones with the cloth seats, and ones with the welded metal strip seats. I like the ones with the metal seats best.

I chain these fast and use a ratchet strap at the bottom of the stand to lock it fast to the tree. I padlock the chain so there is no chance for the chain to slip off and to help prevent theft. These things are rock solid and do not squeak if the bolts are properly tightened.

Best part is they are very cheap so I can let them hang and not worry about a huge financial loss if the are stolen. I hunt on public land where you cannot hurt the cambium of the tree. I carry in a set of rope on steps to get to my stands. It only takes me ten minutes to strap the tree steps to the tree and climb to my stand.

If someone wants to get the stand they will have to bring climbing equipment and a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw. If they want to go to that effort, they might as well purchase a new one. I place these in clumps of trees that help hide their profiles from deer and theives.

Just my thoughts on cheap, sturdy, non-squeaky treestands.

Gar

Just Say No to Crossbows!
Old 10-07-2002, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to check out the wally world stands as I would like to set several and money is an object. As long as they are quiet and safe, I can deal with the comfort aspect. Don