HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR!
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Gar-Shooter

Default RE: Tree Stands GRRRRRRRRRRR!

DoninVA

I have been using the cheap Chinese made chain on stands for the past couple years. These are the kind you can purchase for $39.00 at your local Wally World. They have plastic washers on the bolt connections to remove the squeak. I have two kinds - ones with the cloth seats, and ones with the welded metal strip seats. I like the ones with the metal seats best.

I chain these fast and use a ratchet strap at the bottom of the stand to lock it fast to the tree. I padlock the chain so there is no chance for the chain to slip off and to help prevent theft. These things are rock solid and do not squeak if the bolts are properly tightened.

Best part is they are very cheap so I can let them hang and not worry about a huge financial loss if the are stolen. I hunt on public land where you cannot hurt the cambium of the tree. I carry in a set of rope on steps to get to my stands. It only takes me ten minutes to strap the tree steps to the tree and climb to my stand.

If someone wants to get the stand they will have to bring climbing equipment and a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw. If they want to go to that effort, they might as well purchase a new one. I place these in clumps of trees that help hide their profiles from deer and theives.

Just my thoughts on cheap, sturdy, non-squeaky treestands.

Gar

Just Say No to Crossbows!