Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

zwickeys

Old 07-24-2005, 01:12 PM

Default zwickeys

I think it's spelled something like that. Anyhow, what do you think about this broadhead. I've had decent results, but most of the time the arrow doesn't pass all the way threw. I shoot about 50-55 pounds. I also get them as sharp as possible. I don't use sights, so the possiblity of hitting the shoulder is always high. I've been watching the muzzy just eat threw everything. Would a muzzy be a better bet.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: zwickeys

Yes a muzzy would be a better bet. I've tested both of these heads, while the zwickies look meaner and tougher I assure you thay will not penetrate more than a muzzy. There are only a select few heads on the market that can even come close to a muzzy. Others will say titiaum 100 from rocky mountian, or crossfires or nitrons, or magnus stingers, the list goes on, but the truth remains muzzy is still the hardest hitting head most penetrating head on the market. Other say it, but muzzy proves it every year. Yes some heads are sharper or bigger or fly better, but if you ask the majority of people if there was a 190 class buck in front of you what would you shoot, a muzzy would be the reply. I've tested a lot of heads over the years , while it may not always be on flesh, these came on top all the time. As for new heads there is only one I would try, slick tricks. All of the people can't be wrong all the time.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will have to disagree with lou-lou. Zwickeys are some of the toughest best penetrating heads on the market. I think your penetration problems come from an overall lack of Kinetic energy from your setup, along with possible bow tune. Muzzys are also great heads but I don't think you will see much improvement by swithching to them. Instead try a smaller head like a magnus stinger 2 blade 100 grn, or a Sonic, rocky traditon or similar styles. You can check out my website www.broadheadtests.com for some good info on picking the right head and tuning your bow to maximize performance.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not going to compete with you because you are the man, here is my set up. mathews ultra2 at 72lbs easton acc's 3-71 , 28.75 inch arrow 4 inch vanes and a 100grain head. We found that all cut on contact heads had too much cutting surface to penetrate the plywood( two 1/2 in pieces screwed together), with all that surface there was more friction than other heads which in turn slowed it down and it didn't penetrate well. All shots were ten yards from the target. Every setup is going to perform different, my setup prefers muzzy to others, they did the best for me. Don't get me wrong with the right setup zwickies might perform better, it all comes down to spending some money to find the right head for your setup.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do a argee that in the plywood cut on contact heads such as Zwickeys don't do as well, Muzzys excell in the wood though. That's why I shoot into 3 differnt materials, each difffernt enough to get a better overall picture.