Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

spot hogg

Old 07-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Default spot hogg

I can't decide wich model to get or which size pins are better. I'm looking between the hogg-it or the real deal and can't really tell the difference from looking at the two. Also the pin sizes. Which is better for bowhunting, the .19 or .29 fiber optics. Thanks alot for the help
Old 07-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: spot hogg

For hunting, definately the .029 pins. They are larger, gather more light and are easier to see earlier in the morning and later in the evening. If you want to get fancy, you can get the top 3 in .029 and the bottom two with .019. This will give you all the light gathering you need for early and late shots, with the benefit of the smaller fibers for your long yardage pins.......which you probably wouldn't be shooting with in low light conditions anyway.

As for which sight, I own one of each. The Real Seal is a fine hunting sight. The micro adjustment allows very precice gang adjustment of the entire sight housing. It will provide you with years of dependable service and is darn near bulletproof.
The Hoggit or Hunter Hoggit are certainly the next step up. The main thing these give you is the ability to adjust your 3rd axis. This adjustment will ensure that your level is correct for up and down hill shots (IMHO it is well worth it!)

All of Spot Hoggs pins adjust the same way and are some of the best in the business.

If it were me, looking for a hunting sight, I don't think you can do better than a Hunter Hoggit. If that is just a bit on the pricey side for you, then the Real deal is a great fallback.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually prefer the .19 pins, simply with the fast bows we are shooting today, the space between pins seem to get so small. I have pins at 20, 30, 35, 40 and 45 and like the smaller diameters to space out the last three pins. Just my preference. They are the best sights I've used, I replaced sights on all my bow with them. You really can't go wrong.

Kelly
Old 07-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the .19 pins as well on my hunter hogg-it. If your concerned about low-light conditions I'd suggest maybe checking out the sight light. It's nice to have when you need it.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 Hogg-its one for 3d and just swap it out for hunting.

Both have 019 pins and if you are concerned about them not being bright enough there is a simple fix for the cost of about $7 you can get enough fiber optic to do 2 sights.

Here is how the pins look inside with no flash.

The pins are bright enough at the legal limits of hunting.

You can get the fiber optic from here.
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/danise/cart.pl?db=stuff.dat&category=fluorescentfiber

For the 019 you will need the 5mm.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:46 AM

I went with the .029 on my 20yd. pin-.019s on the 30,40,50,60yd. pins.This gave me a good pin clarity and pin "gap" with my Spot-Hogg.....Bob
Old 07-31-2005, 04:47 PM
rmw

I went with the hunter hoggit with 19's and just bought the sight light