Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question for Spot Hogg Hogg-it users >

Question for Spot Hogg Hogg-it users

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question for Spot Hogg Hogg-it users

Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Question for Spot Hogg Hogg-it users

Okay, I know a few of you guys use these sights on your bows and I am thinking about upgrading to this sight! I currently am using a Copper John Dead Nuts Hunter sight, but I am looking for something that will be a better sight for shooting 3-D and hunting! That is why I am looking at this sight as it looks to be one very tough sight that will also be very accurate!

How bright are the pins on this sight, I will be going with the .019 pins!
How much adjustability is there in the sight?
Would you say that this sight is worth the price of $159.95?

Any info you guys have would be appreciated!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for Spot Hogg Hogg-it users

Worth every stinkin' penny plain and simple. (Check twomorrowssupply.com I think they are alittle cheaper)
Been shooting Spot-Hogg for 3 seasons now.

If it's also going to be a 3D sight definitely go with the .019 pins.......no they aren't very bright. When you order, get one extra pin set-up in the .029 (Yellow is the brightest) and when hunting season rolls around swap out the top pin only for the extra .029.
Also make sure your next pin down is a red .019. what this does is gives you one bright pin for first light / last light, since you won't be using the longer yardage pins anyway. It gives the illusion at last light that you are shooting a single pin sight. Very easy to find and keep track of in low light, and you don't have any other pin halo to look through when aquiring your target.

(Also grab the Spot-Hogg sight light for indoor 3D and video shoots....a MUST HAVE)
Old 03-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

The .019 pins aren't very bright... the .029 are a lil brighter.. similar to the CJ pins... they can be made brighter if you leave the fiber long and fasten it to the dovetail bar.

The sight is about as adjustable as they come.. very easy to setup and adjust...

Worth $159.99... well I didn't pay that much.. so? It is one hell of a sight though.. and tougher than anything out there. Lifetime warranty that can't be beat...

In my opinion it's much higher quality than a CJ... or most anything else on the market.

Spend your $$$ once.. and you'll save $$$ in the long run.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Matt said.

On both the ones I have I ordered them with yellow and green pins only the red just fades too quick.

If you decide to get the light as well then do a couple of raps with plumbers tape on the thread this will stop the light from unscrewing itself and rattling.

Oh and get a black magic marker and lightly paint over the globe cause it is a bright little sucker.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 PM

Thanks Matt for the info, I knew you would help me on this one.

A few other questions...

Would you recommend the 2" or 2-3/8" pin guard?
Have you tried Spot Hogg's tritium pins for this sight?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's gonna be personal preference........I shoot the bigger pin guard on my 'Real deal" hunting sight because I don't shoot a peep sight.
On my 3D bow I shoot the smaller 2" pin guard because it allows me to center a peep sight better around the ring for more accurate shooting. On my Old Glory, the Super Hunter Tru-peep is exactly the diameter of the pin guard allowing me to perfectly center my sight on every shot without floating to one side or the other. (Remember center the guard, not the pin)

Either pin guard allows plenty of room for all your pins, especially with the speed of these bows.......You'll have to make that call, but you will need a pretty large conventional peep sight to fully see the larger pin guard.

I have no experience with Tritium except in my carry gun's night sights. Unless you plan on shooting in the dark, save your money.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Thanks Matt for the info, I knew you would help me on this one.

A few other questions...

Jason.

Both mine are the 2" pin guard and in all honesty for 3d and hunting IMHO its the best one to get.

As to the tritium pin it is .060 a little too big for 3d
Old 03-30-2005, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting a Hunter Hogg-it and its by far the best sight I've ever owned. Expensive, yes, but consider the features and the quality you get with one of their sights and its not all that bad IMO.

I personally like the .029 pins a little better. Brighter and usually hold up a lot better. If you're sight pins aren't bright enough, you can always use long fibers and put them inside clear plastic tubing and run it back the sight bar. I've seen that setup before and it looks pretty sweet.

I bought the version with the 2" or small pin guard. I have always had trouble getting my housings to line up inside a 3/16" peep. This one lines up perfectly for me.

Buy a Hogg, you won't be disapointed.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Also make sure your next pin down is a red .019. what this does is gives you one bright pin for first light / last light, since you won't be using the longer yardage pins anyway. It gives the illusion at last light that you are shooting a single pin sight. Very easy to find and keep track of in low light, and you don't have any other pin halo to look through when aquiring your target.
FYI If you wear glasses to correct astigmatism, red may be the wrong color for your longer pin. You may be better off with red at shorter distances. Red has a long wave length and will be elongated with astigmatism. I found that red can be tolerated at shorter distances better than at 30 and 40 yards. The pin appears so elongated at those lengths it affects my POI.
The Spothogg is not very bright but I love the .019 pins. Am changing to the Cobra Sidewinder LX with .019 pins. Much brighter sight. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just ordered mine. Anyone want a Copper John Deadnuts?

Quick Reply: Question for Spot Hogg Hogg-it users

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.