Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Confused? Which broadhead >

Confused? Which broadhead

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Confused? Which broadhead

Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Confused? Which broadhead

Lou Lou, the slick tricks have been on the market for about two years now. You don't see them in any of the magazines or anything like that. They are gaining a huge following simply by word of mouth advertising, which is the best kind.

They do in fact fly just like a field tipped arrow. They are sharp out of the package, super strong, blade retention system is about the strongest around, and they make a 1- 1/8th inch diameter four blade hole (1" for the 85 grain model). They also penetrate extremely well.

In comparison.....
A Muzzy 100 has a 1-3/16" three blade cut or a 1" 4 blade cut.
A NAP nitron has a 1-1/16" three blade cut.
A NAP thunderhead 100 has a 1-3/16" three blade cut.
A stinger 100 has a 1-1/16" X 3/4 inch four blade cut.
A steel force 100 has a 1" X 3/4" four blade cut (I think)

Slick Tricks are definetly shorter (which is probably why they fly so good) than the rest of these heads but as you can see by the cutting diameters of the various heads they cut a bigger hole than all of them. They are definetly a full size head in a short package.

When I first started hearing about them last year I was skeptical at first also cause I do not like buying something I can not see and touch before I spend my money. However the slick tricks are one exception to that. I am glad I bought them. They are everything that the owner claims and more.

You can buy them directly from slick trick at http://slicktrick.net/
Old 07-04-2005, 02:16 PM
rmw

This yr I am thinking about trying stingers , for about the last 10 yr's I have used Muzzy 90gr 4 blade heads . I have never measured them but I think they are listed as having a 1" cutting diameter . I went to the slick trick web sight and dont see what I would be gaining in a st 85 over a muzzy 90 ?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls, when you meant penetrate well, does that mean they go thru bone and other things if the shot is botched. In your mind do they rank with the muzzy's for penetration? I know now that there cutting dia is larger with would increase blood trail. Bottom line are these things bad to the bone! You see I shot a doe out in Illinois last year at 30 yards with the 100 gr muzzy's and the wind pushed it to the left and it ended up going thru both shoulders passed thru and stuck in the tree behind her. I was immpressed and was convinced never to change. The doe weighed over 200lbs.My set up is a mathews ultra 2 @ 70lbs 29in draw and shoot easton 3-71's , with the total arrow including a 100gr muzzy it weighed somewhere around 450 grains.If I switched to slick tricks would I still get the same performance or would it be better. I know it's tough to say but in your mind would it. Do you use these on elk? If so what do they perform like. Some times I get stubborn, it took me 4 years to finally find the right mix of arrow weight and broadheads so you see why I'm a little hard to convince to change. I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just really anal when it comes to my stuff. Please reply.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not been able to use them on elk as of yet. I had to move to Alabama for work opening weekend of archery season in Colorado last year.

IMHO you should get better penetration from the ST than you would from Muzzies. I can tell you about the three deer that I shot with them last year. One 7 pt was shot almost head on through the neck through the heart and exited the brisket, another was shot straight down through the spine between the shoulders shattering it and exited through the bottom of the rib cage, another was shot quartering away high through the ribs down through both lungs and exited through the front leg joint (not just the shoulder) shattering it. The fourth was shot with a rocket steel head broadside just to see how it compared. All four deer wire taken from 20 - 25 feet in elevation. None of the deer ran more than 50 yards.

My arrow was a terminator select with ST 125's weighing 491 grains traveling at 265 fps.

I like to say that the ST's are bad through the bone not just to the bone.

All I can tell you is to try them. I think you will really like them. I know I certainly did. A pack will only set you back about $25.00.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I'm going to have to check these slick tricks out. I have shot almost all my deer with thunderhead 100s. I did have a planing problem, but that was after realizing that I had bent the cartridges. I am considering trying the tekan II's.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

ok--i must be in the minority here. i have had GREAT sucess w/ muzzys.
i have had the glue on 100 grain for the older skinny beamon shafts. that was in 1990. i went to the 90 gr screw on to now the 100 gr 3 blade. i get them at walmart for $9 for a 3 pk. they are razor sharp and very durable. i found theat they fly much better than i could get thurnderheads to fly. if you were 4 for 4 on them, why change? i would not worry about a blood trail if i could find any deer within 100 yards.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe your shot placement is a little high. With the setup you mentioned, I can't imagine NOT getting a good blood trail from a Muzzy braodhead. They blow huge holes. Try shooting a little lower in the body and I'd bet you'll see heavier blood trails.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Mike from Texas you could very well be right, I think i'm just used to the vortex's mini max 3's that I shot years past. All in all I think i 'm searching for the perfect broadhead that probably dosen't exsist. Honestly if I had the choice after thinking about it if i had the buck of a lifetime come by I would't trust anything but a Muzzy. I've seen them perform first hand. Maybe it was just a bad year for shot placement, I know I killed my share but I'm the type of person who constatly looks for ways to improve his game. I guess I'm just trying to split atoms on the topic.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had been giving some thought to trying the ST's since I've been hearing so much raving about them. However, after going to the website and seeing they're $22.00 for a 3/pak PLUS postage, I think I'll stick with the Muzzy's which have served me very well, are widely available and usually go on sale just before bow season at Dicks for $25.00 for a 6/pak. They're only $30.00 for a 6/pak at regular prices. That's a hefty savings in my mind and the Muzzy's are working great for me.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM

ButchA,
No you don't need a ton of mechanical energy to shoot mechanicals but be cautious as to which mechanical you buy. I personally do not like the 2 blade mech and don't think they leave a real good blood trail. I think anytime you can use a 3 blade you will get a much better exit and entry hole allowing more bleeding. I have been using the Grim Reapers lately and they devastate. I shot a hog w/ one this spring and the entry/exit hole looked like you shot it w/ a 30-06. Check out their website at www.Grimreaperbroadheads.com . They are extremely sharp, durable, and fly just like my fieldpoints.

Quick Reply: Confused? Which broadhead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.