Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Confused? Which broadhead >

Confused? Which broadhead

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Confused? Which broadhead

Old 07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Confused? Which broadhead

I shoot muzzy's right now and love them but they don't leave the bloodtrail I want, a little on the light side. They are 100 grain 3 blade, I hit 4 deer last year in the lungs and thay all died within 100yards. Completly passed thru all the deer. I know dead is dead but I want to better my equiptment if possiable. It's hard to beat muzzy performance, and I know if it ain't broke don't fix it. If any one has experienced poor bloodtrails with muzzy's and switched to either magnus stingers or steelforce hellfires and got better bloodtrails because of it with the same dominating performance they got with the muzzy's but more blood on the ground, please help me. Looking for any advice on the topic, I know muzzy's are awesome but these two broadheads look like they can do the same thing but with sharper blades and more cutting surface. Come on folks I need your opinions. Thanks lou-lou
Old 07-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Confused? Which broadhead

It's hard to beat muzzy performance, and I know if it ain't broke don't fix it.
No it's not and while it may not be broke it aint the best out there either.

I have said this on other threads but I'll say it here too. Muzzy, while a good broadhead, are falling farther and farther behind in the broadhead game. Every year there are heads that fly better, penetrate better, and are much stronger, tougher, and take much more punnishment than Muzzies. If they don't step up their game they will get left behind.

Slick Tricks are, IMHO, the best broadhead out there right now by far. Of the four deer I shot with them last year the ones that ran far enough to leave a blood trail left one Ray Charles could have followed. They are a solid steel, four blade head with a 1 1/8" cutting diameter. http://slicktrick.net/

You have listed two great broadheads that I would also consider using. However, I am not big on Titanium and serrated blades of the hellfire heads. I think you would be better off with their premium heads with steel blades as opposed to the hellfire heads. Another cut on contact head that I really like the looks and design of are the Razor Caps.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bigbulls said it all.... [8D]

I have been hearing so much stuff about these "Slick Tricks". Everybody is raving about them. I just have to get on their website and print off the order form, or call them and get a pack of them to try out.

I am a fan of the classic NAP Thunderhead. What a great broadhead! But I recently got a pack of Magnus Stinger 4 blades, and couldn't believe how well they flew! Now my quiver has 3 Stingers and 3 Thunderheads.

Like I wrote in another thread: It's summer... Plenty of time to experiment with different broadheads....

Butch A.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:11 PM

Slick Tricks are, IMHO, the best broadhead out there right now by far.
Ditto.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Speaking of experimenting with different broadheads....

I had to take my son to Atlanta to catch a flight to Denver today and I just had to go to the Bass Pro there. While I was there I just had to pick up a pack of RAZOR CAPS in 125 grains.

Seeing as how I just go back about half an hour ago I have not shot them yet but I can tell you that they spin perfectly and that the construction on these heads is second to none. All of the joints where they have been laser welded are just beautiful. I have never seen a weld look so good.

This may very well be the best designed cut on contact head made. They use a replaceable blade cartridge over a machined furrel that screws into the cartridge. All weight heads use the same blade cartridge and you can easily change weights by simply unscrewing the furrel and screwing in a different one.

They could be a bit sharper out of the package but just like a Montec all you have to do is lay them flat on a stone and they are plenty sharp in just a few minutes.

If these fly as well as they are made then Slick Tricks and Razor Caps will be the only broadheads any one would ever need depending on if you wanted a cut on contact head or a chisel tip head.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:21 PM

get slick tricks or get the cabelas F3 they both fly fairly close to field points and also leave good blood trails
Old 07-04-2005, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

go to www.broadheadtests.com and read through the info. It will help you pick the right head for your setup and help you understand why it is the best head for your needs.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The true advantage of mech b-heads, LARGER entry and exit holes for MORE blood on the ground!
Old 07-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, what's up with these slicktricks, never heard of them before, they must be new on the market, every question about broadheads slicktricks are mentioned, but how do they stack up against muzzy's , stingers, or steelforce. I went to the broadheadtest web sight but found no muzzy or stinger comparision. Who makes these slick tricks? Are these small like the Nitron from NAP. Compared to muzzy's what the different specs cutting dia, also compared to stingers. Bottom line I want a full size head not an itty bitty. But if you guys these are the sh-t then I'm going to buy them. From what I heard the broadheads leave holes like a mech. broadhead with a much bigger cutting dia. Is this true? Let me know, I'm skeptical of them.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed
The true advantage of mech b-heads, LARGER entry and exit holes for MORE blood on the ground!
Question: Do you need a ton of KE to shoot a mechanical broadhead? Honest... I have never shot a mechanical before, and therefore am a little clueless on which one would be good to experiment with. I shoot an old PSE bow at 65# and 30" draw, and shoot XX75's with 125gror 100grdepending on the broadhead.

Question #2: Can you shoot a mechanical into a "The Block", "Black Hole", or one of the new Morrell targets? I have a Black Hole and shoot field tips into it constantly. I have shot 125gr Thunderheads into it and have shot up the bullseye area pretty bad, but still okay. I recently got some 100gr Magnus Stingers and really like them. They flew just like my field tips, but on the Black Hole, they punched right through the backside of it! Will a mechanical head do the same or would the blades get messed up inside a target?

......just curious.

Butch A.

Quick Reply: Confused? Which broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.