Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 new to bowfishing >

new to bowfishing

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

new to bowfishing

Old 12-24-2004, 03:31 PM

Default new to bowfishing

I'm trying to get started bowfishing but I don't know what bow to use. I have a 65 lb compound that i deer hunt with and also a 35 lb recurve I shoot sometimes. I've been told either will do which one would you folks sugest. Any help would be appricated
Old 12-24-2004, 04:03 PM

Default RE: new to bowfishing

The recurve would work a little better I think. The heavy poundage of the compound will bury alot of arrows in the mud so deep you would pull your arm out getting them out. Heck...to start get a inexpensive hand wrap reel and once you get addicted to bowfishing [it will happen....] move up to a retreivor or spincast reel. Where you from? Someones always willing to take a new bowfisher out to try the sport!!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the help, I'm in east Texas just moved here 3 years ago. Whats a hand wrap reel.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:46 PM

drop on over here... there's probably someone local to you on board...

http://bowfishusa.com/index.php
Old 12-26-2004, 06:59 AM

A hand wrap is the old original style line "drum" that you would thread into a stabilizer hole. The line is just pulled in and wrapped around the drum, [about 4 in. diameter]. It has a notch that you clip the line into to keep it from falling off when not shooting. Yhey are a little slow to use, but are dependable and been around for years.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

How do you get the wrap reel on your bow?¿¿? Can you use just regular arrows? I saw a bowfishing kit at the Bass Pro Shop, should I buy that or just rig it myself?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That hand-wound drum has a male threaded mounting post that screws into your stabilizer hole.
A retreiver or spincast reel can mount on the side of your bow in th eholes where you would mount a sight or quiver.
A spincast reel can also go on a short special fishing rod that goes in the stabilizer hole.

You DO need special fishing arrows. They will be heavy, stiff, full length, and made of fiberglass or aluminum-clad fiberglass. They will have a heavy point with some kind of barb on it to keep the fish from getting away once he's been skewered, and a hole or cable so that you can attach a line for pulling the arrow back.

The kit should be fine.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for anwsering my question Bulzeye..... I guess I need to make a trip to my local bass pro...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Use the safety slides.