Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Buying a new reel >

Buying a new reel

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Buying a new reel

Old 05-07-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Buying a new reel

The spool I had was one of the wind in by hand types but a stupid design to "reel" in the plastic spool that just loosened the screws. So I tightened it down so it wouldn't spin and and finally cracked through and broke off. I want to get a good reel but don't think I want a spincast. What is the best retreiver to get? Will this standard retreiver #310 from the sight I have ordered my other stuff from work well, and do I need to get anything additionally to install it? Or should I look at something else? http://www.archeryexchange.com/produ.../bwf-103.shtml
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a new reel

I would get a Zebco 808 bowfishing edition reel..........................but thats me

Christine anda few others like theretrievers.............

Don't ya guys
Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM

I really don't want a reel because I want rope line to be able to pull the arrow out of weeds and limbs and things easier which I seem to get stuck in quite a bit. I take allot of shots from the bank around trees and limbs in and out of the water so I want to have a thicker line so I don't have to worry about losing arrows. I also was wondering if with the way it is mounted if my sites will not fit on, or if I would have to buy a special sight to go with it. And is that retreiver fine or would an AMS one be better? And would it really be much better and quicker than just using a set spool type line holder and pulling in the line by hand?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

the 310 will work great and should work fine with your sights and it comes with everything you need to mount it. The retriever is much faster than the drum you wrap up by hand. The retriever pro is a lot nicer though. It has an arrow holder and can be adjusted a lot more to get the trigger just where you need it.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hungry cow

I really don't want a reel because I want rope line to be able to pull the arrow out of weeds and limbs and things easier which I seem to get stuck in quite a bit. I take allot of shots from the bank around trees and limbs in and out of the water so I want to have a thicker line so I don't have to worry about losing arrows. I also was wondering if with the way it is mounted if my sites will not fit on, or if I would have to buy a special sight to go with it. And is that retreiver fine or would an AMS one be better? And would it really be much better and quicker than just using a set spool type line holder and pulling in the line by hand?
[align=left][/align]
I use 200 lb line that is "rope". Pretty much the same stuff they use out of the retriever reels. But get whatever fits your situation best! Thats the best advice I can give you. The 310 looks like a petty good deal.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

ORIGINAL: hungry cow

[align=left][/align]
I use 200 lb line that is "rope". Pretty much the same stuff they use out of the retriever reels. But get whatever fits your situation best! Thats the best advice I can give you. The 310 looks like a petty good deal.

X2.

I have both Retrievers and a spincast. I like em both. That Retriever is a good choice. You won't regret it. I've still got my first one and I bought it in '95 or '96. I didn't start using it alot till '98 and I haven't had a problem with it at all.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Will it help the line come off smoother for the long shots? Now I have 3 sections of 50 foot long line tied together and for at least a third of my shots I go past the first 50 foot section. Going from shore more than half my shots are 15 yards or farther and it seems like the fish never want to come quite close enough to the surface for an easy shot! But the strength of the 55 lb compound really does work out nice for me since I seem to take lots of long and deep shots I still have the power to be accurate pretty far out. But it is pain winding in all that string by hand all the time.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes! There's no tension on the line from a Retriever. That's one of the better things about them is how easy the line pays out of them. You'll be able to take some far shots.