Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Too much draw weight/KE??? >

Too much draw weight/KE???

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Too much draw weight/KE???

Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Too much draw weight/KE???

As a birthday gift, I received a Bohning bowfishing kit. I hadn't used it yet and went out this Sunday as the season ends on Tuesday.
Well, I heard a carp in a big weedbed and drove the boat to the general area. The fish left, but I figured he might come back, so I shut the trolling motor off and decided to have a practice shot at a nearby lilly.
My first shot resulted in the 80 lb braided line (new) breaking about an inch from the knot where I tied it to the sliding mechanism on the arrow. The spool was free, I had left a few feet of slack and there was about 4 inches from arrow to knot (so that it could follow along behind the arrow).

What did I do wrong? Should I drop the poundage of the bow down from 70? I wanna shoot some 2 litre pop bottles this weekend, but don't want to lose arrows...

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: Too much draw weight/KE???

not sure if it was too much to break the line, but I shoot my compound at 45lbs. it is enough to stcik the fish really good even in about 4 or 5 feet of water. if you ever get to shooting a bunch, you'll wanna drop the poundage just so you dont hafta pull 70lbs 200 times in one night!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I wanted to leave the draw weight at 70 if possible as that is what I use for whitetails and for practising all year.

If I have to drop it I will, but I'd really prefer not to. Pretty sure I could fire 200 arrows a day/night with little effort. Let's just say that I am not small...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

What you are describing is exactly why I suggest people start with an AMS retriever reel. It sounds like you lost an arrow. Just 4 more arrows lost and you would have paid for the AMS reel and saved youself a bunch of headaches.
If everything is perfect 80# line is OK. I used to use it. But if anything goes wrong or hangs up, it will break like it was kite string. I never even felt it. It broke that fast and easy.
Although Iused a 70# recurve for fishing for years, it is way more draw weight that needed. I know a lot of compound shooters that are in the high twentys to low thirties for draw weight and theytake hundreds of fish.
One thing you said that is curious to me was, " I had left a few feet of slack ". You don't want a huge amount of slack. The line should make a nice "U" shape, but definately shouldn't be hanging to the ground.
I'd do two things if I were you. First, I'd change that line to at least 200# fast flight. Second I'd crank the draw weight down as low as it will go.
Then if you're gonna try a few practce shots, pick a place that is shallow and has a sandy bottom. Shoot 'til you're comfortable with the set-up.
Good Luck, Have Fun and Be Safe.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Spike

there may have been a snag in the line in your reel or the free loop might have caught on something and broke off. you might wanna try some practice shots at a target and see if the problem is reoccuring of it was a one time thing. be careful though. if the line doesn't break, that arrow might come right back at ya!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM

IMO, ge trid of the 80# (dacron I assume) and get yourself some 150# PowerPro oir 200#. I have been shooting spincast reels and tieing to the back for near to 20yrs now. I (knock on wood) haven't lost an arrow since I first started, I haven't had the line hang on anything, I haven't ever had a snapback and most of the time I bowfished with between 85# and 110#. I watched my bro break off yet another arrow yesterday with a 45# recurve. He said it got wrapped around the rest or handle or something. That is his second or third arrow in about a month, but I guess it don't matter since they were my arrows. LOL. My point is that I am very carefull and pay close attention to what I am doing, as I am standing waiting on fish you will see me push the button over and over again, if my line gets lose I quickly turn the handle pull up slack and puch the button again. I shoot a recurve now (most of the time) and I shoot off of the shelf basically (my shelf is built up some with epoxy). Well to answer your question, no you need not drop your poundage, get stronger line, and be carefull, pay very close attention, and keep your set up as simple as possible and you will be fine. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stronger line it is. I was very sure that my line didn't get caught on anything - it just was not strong enough. I will be doing some practicing this weekend with pop bottles off the dock.

Plenty of practice time until bowfishing season opens again next spring.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think it is to much draw weight the line just probably got stuck on the reel. Had it happen this summer and the arrow came back and put a nice size hole in my leg. Lets just say I was done bowfishing for a while.

Die Hard

30 Days!