Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Aim Low Stingrays >

Aim Low Stingrays

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Aim Low Stingrays

Old 08-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Aim Low Stingrays

I've been bowfishing with the same PSE compoundtill last year with thatI bought in 1990. I just bought an Osprey. I just hose them off when I am done. That is where I bowfish from South Point at Assateague to Tom's Cove on Chincoteague. I also shoot alot of cownose around the Wye Mills/ Kent Narrows area as well as down Hooper's Island.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM

My family owns a beach house on east side drive in chincoteague right across the channel from the assateague lighthouse. We hunt alot upin the area ofwildcat point and oyster bay plus some other special areas but I won't reveal those, because those are our special spots. I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill you.But in all seriousness my dad and a a group of his friends have been going stingray hunting in chincoteague since the early to mid 70's or so. I've spent many a vacation on that little island. Actually I figure I've been going there for close to 25 years. In fact when It came time to buy a boat we actually got a local boat builder in exmore to build us a Chicoteague scow, known for the nice large platform on the bow, just so we could stingray hunt from it better. There is nothing like have a couple of boats of guys chasing stingrays around.Lots of happy memories doing that.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:39 PM

I'm going to check out scows at Glass Boat Works while I am down there next week.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

I've been bowfishing shark and stingrays for years in the Chincoteague, VA area. They are a blast. I was looking at some of your pics and happen to think I noticed a compound bowlaying on the deck of the boat did you guys use compounds in Saltwater? If you did you might regret that move. 2 guys my dad used to bowfish for rays with brought their brand new compound on one trip and needless to say it was the last time they ever used them. Well looks like you guys had a blast.
Yep, they are compounds. All stainless hardware, which helps but I know isn't "rustproof", considering my stainless prop is now a bit rusty!

I wish the drive was about 5 hours closer so we could go back one more time this summer! I am really wanting a shark now.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 AM

Only drawback here is the sharks are not that common. Had rough weather this weekend. Hardest 2 days I ever had for rays. Ended up with a 80lb southern and 36lb cownose though. Both really nice fish.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 PM

Well, we are leaving tonight for sharks...so well see what the south has.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ppssst use dawn it works wonders
Old 08-12-2006, 04:20 AM

There is a product called Salt Terminator that is great for washing the boat and gear down.