Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 So what do you think of this new fish head? >

So what do you think of this new fish head?

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

So what do you think of this new fish head?

Old 04-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default So what do you think of this new fish head?

So do you think this one would help in keeping those large soft fleshed fish from coming off like BigHead or Silver Asian carp. Just curious.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: So what do you think of this new fish head?

Looks like it would work has a lot of holding space on it. But how do you get the barbs to retract?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:14 PM

thats a big head but i aint changin from my muzzys
Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Well it would appear that the head has great holding abilities just cause there's 4 barbs versus 2 and that may make a difference in a soft fish such as a common carp.........
Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Looks interesting! Would the added holding power be worth the extra effort needed to remove it?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you get the barbs to reverse ??

Those long barbs look similar to the ones onthe Sting-O-Ree points that I've tried in the past. I've found that if you're shooting in weed mats or sandy bottoms, they tend to get gummed up and don't deploy like they should because junk gets jammed in between the flat barbs and the housing. I've also seen the flat barbs get bent, resulting in the same problem.

If you're shooting this new head in the right conditions, it should sure hold a fish on.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had much trouble with the muzzy heads. Christine used the sure shot tip this weekend and had it start to unscrew a couple of times. There is a four barb non-retractable head out there already (Gene Davis)that works good just a pain to get the fish off if you don't get a pass through.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'm betting that the barbs don't reverse but you must unscrew the top half of the head completely off to pull your arrow through. Those are some wide barbs and not counting the fact that it would be a royal PIA to remove a fish,especially if you didn't shoot thru it, I bet that sucka would hold the fish. I saw these on ebay and thought about picking up a few for the asians.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Those are Sho-Me bowfishing points and you have to use the tournament knot to attach your arrow to your line in order to get them off - they don't unscrew.

If you're looking for a head with a lot of holding power/area that unscrews, I would take a look at Innerloc's new Grapple heads. I tried some of the 3 bladed ones the other day and they worked great. They're BIG but they fly great and cut through the water well too. Another feature I didn't know they had until I got them was that the replaceable tip has a rubber bushing inside of it to keep the tip from vibrating loose. Every time I shot my Muzzy QR or the Sting-O-Ree, I had to check and usually re-tighten the tip. Never had to do it once on the Innerlocs.
http://www.innerloc.com/Pages/prod_H2O.htm

Sully is selling them too:
http://www.sullysbowfishing.com/main.asp?Dept=Shop&Category=Rests
Old 05-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Let me get this straight, they don't unscrew so you have to tie off to the front of the arrow? Then how do you keep the barbs from coming back to life as you try and pull that point back through the fish?
Oh, and a good way to keep those Muzzy replacable points on tight without coming loose is to remove the carp or gar point and take a few turns of plumbers teflon tape around the threads of the bowfishing head and then screw the point back on and this way they won't come loose nearly as easily.

Quick Reply: So what do you think of this new fish head?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.