Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 What do I need to start? >

What do I need to start?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What do I need to start?

Old 03-20-2006, 05:03 AM

Default RE: What do I need to start?

you,can get started here,
http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/
Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Oneother thing aboutSnell's law and the simulator displays this beautifully, is that as you go from lower to higher above the water surface, the angle of incidence decreases, in other words, the light is bent less the higher and the more directly you are above your target, hence that is the reason you have an advantage shooting from a raised platform built on the boat, but then you bright bowfishers knew that all along and that's why you built that platform to decrease the disparity caused by Snell's law and increase your visibilty.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:40 AM

Thanks for all the tips. i did not relize how intelligent you had to be to shoot them there carp. i did not far well in physics nor geometry? So my hat goes off to all you carp killers. I can not wait to shiskabob some fish. i get to go to cabelas this up comeing weeekend. I'll try to keep eveyone posted thank you all so much for every little thing
Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

i did not relize how intelligent you had to be to shoot them there carp.
Uh, yeah, that's it...intelligent. Yeah.You don't have to be sane, just intelligent.
Just keep trying to shoot under the fish, and you will eventually shoot low enough to hit it.

If you want a big challenge, try bowfishing whilewading in hip deep water.
It's almost impossible to see fish that are as close as 10 feet from you, and the refraction angle is rediculous. You have to aim so low that you'll feel like you're going to shoot yourself in the foot. Always use high elevations, and steep angles to your advantage. That is the key to seeing alot of fish, and getting the best shots.

Of course, waders are quite a bit cheaper than a boat.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Yes Bulz your correct but in order to wade you have to have no fear of hte shoulderless one....lol and I can honestly say I am petrified of ole no shoulders......
Old 03-23-2006, 04:47 AM

Thanks again. I did come up with one more question. How many arrows do yenzs (OhioValley slang for YA"LL) take with ya? and do ya use a quiver just incase you lose 1?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

"The shoulderless one" ??
I do fear 4 foot muskies that are eye level with my crotch and looking at me as if I might taste good. That was a real rush, rightBowman157.
That creek apparently belonged to that particular fish, and we did not have a reservation.

Spare arrows:
All the guys with boats bring a long a half dozen or so from what I've seen, usually in a quiver made of PVC pipe mounted to the boat.
Us shorebound fish-whackers usually only carry 1 or 2 if any. Full length arrows can be quite the pain to haul around where there is considerable brush. I use a back quiver. Be careful not to lean too far over to pick up a fish, or all your ammo will fall out into the water.[:-]
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM

shoulderless ones = water snakes? Maybe... If so they scare the bejeebies out of me too.. 4 foot muskie bite would probably hurt a lot... No, no probably about it.. It would hurt like a...

Anthony
Old 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Well il rancher hit the nail right on the head so im glad to see im not the only wuss...lol but id be a little fearfull of the crotch level musky too...lol but when it comes to ole sneaky snake im toast....
Old 03-24-2006, 03:43 AM

Does sound like fun cant waite to start. I think to start with I'll ordere from 3 rivers. the gadget adapter,the screw on reel,3 arrows,line,ams slide, no gloves. If I actually start to hit em I'll get a zebco 808. Thanks once again to everyone. good luck gettin carp blood and guts everywhere this year.