Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Where do you see fish early in the season? >

Where do you see fish early in the season?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Where do you see fish early in the season?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where do you see fish early in the season?

I hardly ever get out before May since Spring keepsme busy in the yard, but I was wondering where you have the most luck seeing bowfishables when the water is still cold. rivers? lakes? dams? creeks? mudflats? cattails?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Where do you see fish early in the season?

It's frigid up here in South Dakota as well. The only areasthat you canbowfisharound here are streams, creeks, or riverswhere there is moving water. If you're on a stagnant pond or lake, it will most certainly be frozen over.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Well bulz Bowfisher and Robow took Mike Steffa out to clinton lake in january and found fish inthe shallows so it appears if theres no ice anytime could be good.......
Old 03-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Assuming you don't have hard water like in Dakota, look for them in the shallow mud flats and in this hemisphere on the north side of the body of water as that water will warm up faster due to the angle of the sun and greater exposure time. And of course check out any hot water discharge lakes, power plants like Clinton, Sanchris, or Newton in IL. And of course if all else fails, they will be where you find them.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:00 AM

Here in South Texas,where i live,you will not see nothing when the water is cold,we went out last weekend we saw 3 buffs,and some small gar.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:21 AM

here in east texas i find that if you locate some realy shallow grass beds and the sun is out you can find some shootables in the grass sunning themselves and lookin for bream and baitfish. other than that i wait for the 70 + degree days and when the water reaches around 55 to 60 degrees its on then. the big gar tend to not show up till the water realy warms and the spawn is on. then they cruise the bream and bass beds lookin for dinner.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Spike

I've been looking around Spfld, IL, and haven't found much yet. Some commons have been working the hot ditch at Sangchris, but that lake doesn't open for bowfishing until 1 May. Gotta look into fixing that.