Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 New to the sport >

New to the sport

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

New to the sport

Old 12-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to the sport

I want to set up one of my old bows to bowfish with. Anyone have any suggestions? What products work best? I havent bought any bowfishing equipment yet, just waiting for some input.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Default RE: New to the sport

You are going to get a lot of answers on this, many of which just boils down to personal preference. I can tell you what has worked for me for the last 17 years though...

- big spincast reel, like a Zebco 808, loaded with 200 lb fastflight line
- mounted to the bow with a stabilizer reel seat
- fiberglass arrows with Muzzy fish points
- either a bowfishing rest like a roller rest, or my preference, a homemade rest made from moldable epoxy.
- I do not use any cables or slides, but tie to the back of the arrow.

Oh, and of course, you should find a good bowfishing DVD to get you fired up!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:56 AM

good advice all except for the last line...

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/information.php?osCsid=4e66ec5e99afafb97598c14c0c7 87412&info_id=6

I was looking for the picture of my bud Cory who experienced a snap back a couple years ago... added a 3rd eye right above and almost centered between his other 2... this is a very careful fellow, who bowfished for 15 years without any problems till that one fateful night... he survived, but will not take a shot without a safety slide or cable set up anymore... do what you want but be forewarned... you shoot without some sort of slide, ring, or cable set up, your taking your life in your own hands...

other then this, bowfishing is as much fun as one can have with their clothes on...
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Rockfish1

other then this, bowfishing is as much fun as one can have with their clothes on...
Who needs clothes to bowfish?

I agree with not tying to the back of the arrow. I know several people who do so without problems... but you are a bitsafer if you use a slide or cable.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 PM

Who needs clothes to bowfish?
you would look good out there without clothes... me on the other hand, had best keep my mess covered...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I wear a minimum of a pair of shorts - keeps things from getting caught in the bow string.

Back to the original post. What is your old bow - recurve or compound? Have you shot fingers before? I would recomend some no-gluvs and the slides. Also, for a beginner, a retriever reel. It is very simple to use. If you get into tournaments like Robin, you'll probably eventually want to switch to a spincast for quicker second shots. Muzzy fish tips are good, and a plain white fiberglass arrow. Better make that several arrows for when one gets lost or a nock breaks. The best thing would be to find someone near you who already bowfishes and go with them a few times.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 PM

here's the link I was looking for the other day...

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/includes/features/warning/sboccur.html?osCsid=4dcaa355823116091c41f30e2f8a52 08
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, I bet that smarted a little. Good thing he didnt put out his eye!
I have a few old bows. PSE Thunderflight/Myles Keller XI Impulse/or Jenning G2 Buckmaster. I think i want to set the PSE or XI up for bowfishing.