Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 would this work for bowfishing?? >

would this work for bowfishing??

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

would this work for bowfishing??

Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default would this work for bowfishing??

i was thinging about getting a genesis pro, and setting it up for bowfishing. does it have enough power to do the job? no tournaments, just hitting the local small lakes. probably only get to shoot carp, and a rare possibility of a gar, but that would probably never happen

thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: would this work for bowfishing??

If it pulls at least 40# it's plenty. And don't give up on gar already. Iowa has some amazing action.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: would this work for bowfishing??

If this is the bow you are talking about...
http://www.genesisbow.com/genpro/, then it's going to be too light of a draw at a max of 25#.

Looks like a decent bow, but you'll really need some more power to drive heavy arrows through fish scales and bones. Common carp aren't anywhere near as tough as gar, but it still takes some energy to get through to the other side, especially if they are more than a foot deep. I've seen it done with a 35#, but not on big or deep fish.
I prefer 45# to 50# myself.

If you already have a lighter weight bow like this, or can borrow one, you cantry it out. If you see that the arrow's entire point isn't making it all the way through the fish, stop and wait until you can get/use a more powerful bow. The point needs to go far enough for the barbs to engage the far side scales. You don't want to be poking holes in fish that you can't pull in.

In the meantime, keep practicing and honing your skills.
Carp are here to stay, and they will wait for you.