Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 New at Bowfishing >

New at Bowfishing

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

New at Bowfishing

Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 PM

Default New at Bowfishing

Hello everyone. Im kind of new to bowfishing, I have only shot one fish with my bow, and I had no line. This was becasue my friend caught a huge Bass with his fishing pole, and I had previously been hunting Rabbits while he fished, and the fish beached itselfin the shallows so I took a shot at it and it killed the fish at close range. That was my only time. Now I was wondering if I can use my 30# bow to bowfish any fresh water fish I find. Is 30# an appropriate draw weight, or do I need to step it up a notch. I don't think I can get a new bow soon anyway so would my bow be ok for right now to hunt fish with? Thanks- Wolf
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New at Bowfishing

Call your DNR, not all fish are open in all states. The poundage of your bow will work so all you have to do is hit the fish.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

First, it's illegal to shoot bass in most all states, including Texas. There are plenty of legal fish to shoot, don't get yourself in trouble.

Second, 30lbs is fine for most fish. You'll only be under-powered on reallybig fish in deep water. For most carp, gar and buffalo fish, you'll be fine.

Read this too... http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/articles.aspx?articles_id=504

Texas has a great bowfishing organization, here's a link to it. http://www.prismnet.com/~timmckee/

Old 08-17-2007, 08:47 PM

Yeah bass and all gamefish are a bitime no, no here in Texas and as already said yes 30# will work. Bowfishing regulations can be found in that hunting and fishing guide you buy when you buy your license or you can look at TP&WD'd website. Welcome. I am in LaMarque and work in Houston. Drop me a line I customize reels for folks and would be happy to help you in anyway I can. My name is Jimmy.... [email protected]
Old 09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Spike

I am going to have to give this a try.

David