Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
The old hickory butcher knife >

The old hickory butcher knife

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

The old hickory butcher knife

Old 08-31-2017, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The old hickory butcher knife

with a little tweaking
Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like it, I have some old carbon steel knives that I've had so long and sharpened so many times, they look like fillet knives now.

That looks like it may make a good gutting knife. Maybe the false edge just a touch steeper. If you get the false edge at just the right angle it makes gutting a breeze and you don't have to worry about the tip digging in and puncturing the guts. Only one way to know for sure, try it out a few times.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I like it, I have some old carbon steel knives that I've had so long and sharpened so many times, they look like fillet knives now.

That looks like it may make a good gutting knife. Maybe the false edge just a touch steeper. If you get the false edge at just the right angle it makes gutting a breeze and you don't have to worry about the tip digging in and puncturing the guts. Only one way to know for sure, try it out a few times.
I never really thought about gutting with it. Ive never even taken it in the field. I mostly use it around the house/camp to break down large chunks of meat like loin/sirloin into steaks or slice watermelon etc.

I gut everything with a swingblade and do my skinning with nessmuks like this
Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one similar to the lower one and I ground it down and put a drop point on it and buffed up the handle then put it in a spare sheath I had lying around. It was setting in our utensil drawer for year not being used. Now it will go to the woods with me as part of my muzzleloading gear.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I never really thought about gutting with it. Ive never even taken it in the field. I mostly use it around the house/camp to break down large chunks of meat like loin/sirloin into steaks or slice watermelon etc.

I gut everything with a swingblade and do my skinning with nessmuks like this
I often split the pelvis, three ways to do this, either a saw, a serrated knife or a knife big enough to hack with. Only one way to know for sure is to try it a few times.

I tend to try for one tool (knife) that does it all. My current knife with a serrated blade gets the job done, but it is a pain.

I skin them at home mostly. I generally have them in the cooler/refer pretty quick with the hide on.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I often split the pelvis, three ways to do this, either a saw, a serrated knife or a knife big enough to hack with. Only one way to know for sure is to try it a few times.

I tend to try for one tool (knife) that does it all. My current knife with a serrated blade gets the job done, but it is a pain.

I skin them at home mostly. I generally have them in the cooler/refer pretty quick with the hide on.
I never split the pelvis.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine had an old hickory knife I used to butcher a couple deer and it stayed sharp longer then any knife I have used. After that I found a couple old ones on EBay, they are ok but not like his.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
A friend of mine had an old hickory knife I used to butcher a couple deer and it stayed sharp longer then any knife I have used. After that I found a couple old ones on EBay, they are ok but not like his.
Might be the way he sharpens his. That can make a big difference.