Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to flint lock and black powder >

New to flint lock and black powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to flint lock and black powder

Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM

Default New to flint lock and black powder

I purchased a T/C 50cal. PA hunter carbine flint lock this past winter. Company only recommends conical and round ball because of twist. I was wondering if any of you could recommend books or website on what powders and techniques for using a flint lock and such. I never shot or cleaned it yet. I got ammo and some tools no powder though.
Any tips that you have will be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to flint lock and black powder

this is probably one of the best sources.......real people who learned a little of everything and tried alot of diffrent things.....to actually LEARN how to do it all id highly recomend getting together with someone that knows how to use a flintlock properly and show you how it is done properly and safely...you can read all you want....and we can tell you all you know.....but you just might not understand it fully to beable to shoot and clean your rifle properly and safely......someone to actually shoot with is the best way to go atleast the first time.....thats how i went about learning......and asked these guys 10000 questions about flintlocking......some say you shouldnt learn on a flintrifle....but i never touched a blackpowder gun and bought a flintlock....and that was the first blackpowder muzzleloader i ever used.....i learned....its not hard if your shown first hand...a good place to start reading is your TC manual..if you have one....if not...call TC and ask for one....it will be at your house real fast.....great customer service....and their manual is a good one...its a great sport....very fun and addicting.......nearly every time i head to the range i take the flintlock with me......
Old 03-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Archblackmage

Welcome to the sport. First thing you need to do is really clean the rifle completely. Most new rifles come with a packing grease and you have to make sure you get the barrel real clean and oil free.

Run the rifle through a water bath and some solvent patches would also be a good idea. Then some dry patches just to make sure you get all the stuff out of the barrel. Also make sure the frizzen and pan is grease, dirt and oil free when shooting. You can do this by wiping them off with some isopropyl alcohol patches....

Since your shooting a flinter, it is easy. Goex or Black Powder. No subsutites. You will get the best ignition and performace out of using Black Powder. Goex 3f will give you good results and you can even prime the pan with 3f if you have no 4f around. In fact lots of flintlock shooter do not bother with 4f and prime and shoot straight 3f.

Black English flints will give you the best spark and are most cost effective. The machine cut agates that come with the rifle work fine, but they do not last long and can not be knapped for more use.

As for a load start your rifle out at about 80 grains of Goex 3f and a lubed patched roundball load. Put just a pinch, about 3 grains in the pan, away fromt the vent liner and then go make some smoke.

Like mause06 was saying, one of the best ways to learn is from an experienced shooter or by asking questions of course. I also just started into the flintlock experience and have no one to teach me so I am learning a lot real fast.

Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted on how well it does.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks gentleman, I waiting to join one of my local gun clubs, One day while b-sing with a member he told me about T/C hawkin's that he has been shooting since returning from Vietnam, he told me he got up to a level of accuracy that he one out shot a member with a 308.
He instructed me to use number 4 powder and to spend a day just getting used to the flash of the pan. I guess I found my mentor once I find a meeting and pay the dues.

So all of you experienced gun users/ hunter's help us young guys become better and then we will pass down this knowledge. I did read the manual I thought washing the barrel with soap or something sounded strange. I have become a fan of hoppes elite line, should I only clean a black powder gun with black powder brand products?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I have become a fan of hoppes elite line, should I only clean a black powder gun with black powder brand products?
That is one of those questions that has two different sides. Some will tell you that they never allow petrolum based products to touch their rifles, opting for the natural products out there. At the same time, others will tell you they use petrolum based products in them all the time. Then there are those that work both sides of the road cleaning their rifles with modern cleaners and brushes, then protecting the barrel with bore butters.

Perhaps you have heard or read the arguements of seasoning a barrel. That is the idea behind using a bore butter type substance. I personally clean the rifles with a soap and water bath. After that I use some quality gun solvents and brush the bore. When I have clean dry patches coming out the barrel I then coat the bore with a quality gun oil like Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL w/teflon or Breakfree CLP.

The choice will be up to you. I personally want to start all my shooting with a nice clean barrel each and every time....
Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM

What type of soap are you refering to? Dish soap is something else?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

On your flintlock, I pull the vent liner after I pull the barrel. I have an old coffee can I put about 10 drops of Dawn Dish soap in and then fill it 3/4 with very hot water. Dip a patch in the hot water and then work that patch in short strokes from the muzzle to the breech. You will pump that hot soap and water through the barrel and it will pull the fowling out the vent liner hole.

After I have clean patches, I then do a pure hot water bath only. This rinses the soap out of the barrel. I like hot water because it helps to dry the moisture out of the barrel. Some people use boiling water for the second bath and hold onto the barrel with a glove. The barrel will get scalding hot and when you take it out of the water it will almost dry it self.

I then dip a brush in solvent and work that through the bore. I follow that with some solvent patches. After the solvent patches come out clean, I run some dry patches through it. Usually two of them is all I need. Then I run a patch with isopropyl alcohol on it. The alcohol will remove any left over moisture out of the barrel. After all that I run an oil patch through the bore.

Clean the vent liner and put a drop of anti seize on the threads and replace that. Then wipe the whole thing down with oiled patches after you have the lock all clean, and re assemble the rifle.... Done..