Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Powder Newbie >

Black Powder Newbie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Newbie

Old 03-06-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Black Powder Newbie

Hello all. I have been reading this site for a couple weeks now and decided to join because of the knowledgable members and the respect that the members show to each other. This is my first post. As my name implies I am currently in grad school but I scraped up enough money to buy my first Muz a New Frontier Beartooth Magnum .50 cal. From what I have read I know that there are many variables involved to finding the correct amount and type of powder to use with a load(295 gr. powdelts came w/ the starter kit) I am looking for someone who has experience with my paticular Muz who could give me some advice on where to start working up something that will shoot well for me. My muz is basically a CVA Optima with a 24 inch barrel and a 1.5-4.5 bushnell banner I took off my sluggun. Any info will help on working up a load and any thoughts on my Muz. I will be hunting in NY for whitetails(southern tier no rifles) Thanks and I look foward to any of your Ideas. Cheers
Old 03-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Newdy

SchoolBoy,
Cayugad is always in the Black Powder Forum. He does alot of Testing with BP.
Just POST......"For Cayugad".....in the BP forum.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no personal experience with your rifle, but if I owned it...

Clean the devil out of the barrel first. Remove all traced of any oils, bore butters, and alike. Always start on a nice clean barrel. Pop a 209 primer through the breech plug and blow that clean.....

I would start my testing at 80 grains of Pyrodex FFG or Triple Se7en FFg. Before you shoot a powerbelt, remove the plastic button on the bottom. You will see a little lead spike on the conical. Put a drop of oil, bore butter, spit, what ever and replace the button. (this is especially important if your shooting Triple Se7en because of the heat the ignition causes) Then load as normal on the powder charge. Shoot a three shot group. If the group is tight then increase the powder charge 5 grains and shoot another group. Keep doing this until the groups falls apart. I will guess the rifle will come in around 90-100 grains. If you're shooting pellets, then load two 50 grain pellets. Powerbelts out of some rifles, do not like to be pushed too hard. Do not exceed 100 grains of loose powder with that rifle. Especially Triple Se7en. You are getting some high barrel pressues with those heavy conicals..

Be sure and swab the barrel between shots even though the powerbelts are slip fit. You are sighting in trying to see what the rifle likes. After you have you load then you can try shooting a couple in a row without swabbing and see what it does. I use a mix of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. I run a wet patch working in short strokes from the muzzle to the breech. Turn it over and run the whole length of the barrel, then a dry patch or two (they are my next wet ones).

My rifle likes 90 grains of Goex 2f and a 245 or 348 grain powderbelt. It will shoot outstanding groups. It is not a Beartooth or Optima but it is a CVA Staghorn.. from the same family.

Good luck with the rifle. Others I have read are shooting 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's with 85-100 grains of powder with excellent accuracy.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 AM

I own a optima 50 cal.Not the pro however. I get really good results with the ffg triple 7 loose powder. Tc Shockwave in 300 grain. Really good groups. I never had any luck with powerbelts. One thing about the shockwaves a little tight going down the barrel. Just make sure they are seated good and tight.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks Guys
I think I'm going to try T7 powder starting at 70 grains because it is a little more powerfull than Pyrodex. I will also give 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's a try. I did notice I took a very long time to get my barrel clean. I ended up pouring boiling water down the barrel to get all the junk out. I will sight it in this weekend and tell you what is going to work for me.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Buy some isopropyl alcohol 91% at your local Wal Mart or pharmacy. If you wet a patch with the alcohol it will remove all the oils and such from the barrel before you begin shooting. You can also use pure alcohol as a swab solution if you like. Alcohol also removes moisture out of the rifle...

Keep us posted with your rifle.. It is always interesting to see how the different makes of rifle shoot.

You can make a homemade cleaning solution/solvent for cleaning the barrel. It is called; M.A.P. which is a mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap, Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide is equal amounts ( I personally cut back a little on the murphys and run it 20/40/40). The only thing you need to remember is when using MAP it will cause flash rust because of the peroxide. It will clean all the stuff out of the rifle real good....
Old 03-07-2005, 12:53 PM

GOOD INFO GUYS. THANKS, I WILL REPORT BACK
Old 03-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Schoolboy,
I just sold my Optima,but it shot 300grXTP .452 with a black Harvestor sabot very well out to 100 yds,using 100 gr 777ffg.Swab between shots for best accuracy and loading.These are tight fitting bullets,and 777 does leave crud in the barrel.I also had good accuracy with 80gr of 777 and a 385gr great plains conical,but never shot much past 75 yds.all ML's are different,but these guys here will put you close until you find out what your rifle likes best. Good luck-good shooting.

Charlie
Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 PM

I own a Beartooth magnum but mine is a 45cal. It also has scope.
I found that mine will pattern best with 2-50gr.-777 pellets and
the 195gr. powerbelt aero-tip. I did not try the loose powder because
I got such great results with the 777 pellets. And I would not
attempt a 150gr. charge with the Spanish barrel. But like I said
mine shoots great, its easy to clean and I like it an awful lot.
So I would appreciate it if you would post your results. And thanks
for your kind statement about the users here.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:42 PM

All the money I invested in school you think I could spell newbie. I bet I had a couple people scratching their heads on that one. Just noticed. I will keep you informed h20

Quick Reply: Black Powder Newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.