Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 scopes for muzzleloaders? >

scopes for muzzleloaders?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scopes for muzzleloaders?

Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Default scopes for muzzleloaders?

I just picked up what appears to be a very nice scope for a very good price from a guy going out of business (retiring). The scope is a Bushnell Trophy, 1.5 to 5 in camo finish and I got it for 50.00 new in the box. One thing I noticed about it is that the center of the crosshair has a circle around it. Don't know if that is good or bad but that really isn't my question. The guy who sold it didn't recommend that I put it on a 50 caliber muzzleloader. He said that he thought they should only have shotgun scopes on them due to the heavy recoil. Anyone have any problems with regular scopes on their muzzleloaders? I've always hunted with sidelocks and no scopes so I'm still new to the inline rifles.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scopes for muzzleloaders?

That circle is called the Circle-X Reticle. I have it on my Bushnell Dusk To Dawn. Takes a little getting used to it at first.

Your Trophy is on quite a few muzzleloaders. It's the next step-up from the Banner in clarity & low-light gathering. Not alot of eye relief with it, but using 100 grains of powder with a 300 grain bullet should keep your face bloodless... lol
Old 03-07-2005, 09:46 AM

Thanks Triple Se7en. I'm going to put it on a Navy Arms Country Boy 50 caliber ml that I actually picked up cheaper than the scope. The rifle was in pieces and I had to put it back together with no manual but it seems to function dry firing it anyway. I always start with 75 grains of powder which is Black Mag3 and when I get to the point I like the accuracy, then I'll stop. Haven't had to go to 100 grains yet and hope I don't have to. I'm getting older and my bones on my 180 pound frame seem to be getting brittle. I broke my ankle in the middle of November and I'm just now getting over it with still some more physical therapy to go.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting older and my bones on my 180 pound frame seem to be getting brittle. I broke my ankle in the middle of November and I'm just now getting over it with still some more physical therapy to go.
=============================================

Been tripping over them-there tombstones again Graveyard Zombie?... lol
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Yeah Triple Se7en, but tripping over the tombstone didn't hurt me as bad as falling in the hole that hadn't been filled with a coffin yet. Actually, I broke my ankle coming down from a tree during one of my morning hunts back in November. A faulty commercial treestep broke as I stepped on it so I fell about 12 feet. I landed on both feet so I broke my right ankle, jammed my left leg, and infuriated the lower left side of my back (hip) that's been bothering me for about 20 years now. Other than that, I came out o.k. When I do work, or go back to work; it will still be on the graveyard shift. I'm the oldest person working it in my organization but it is my choice since we are based on seniority and I'm third in seniority out of 497. Somebody's gotta do it but ya gotta love it to do it voluntarily. Thanks again.