Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barnes expanders

Old 03-03-2005, 12:14 AM

Default barnes expanders

Any experience with them good or bad? I shoot a T/C omega with 100 grains 777. This past year I hunted with powerbelts and didn't like them. I shot both a deer and bear with awful results. Both times the powerbelts "exploded" when hitting a rib, and no exit hole. Any other bullet choices also welcome.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: barnes expanders

Best bullet on the market for ML in my opinion. Been using them for 2 years now with great results, 100% retention, massive damage and best of all the most accurate of all bullets tested due to the tight fit.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any experience with them good or bad? I shoot a T/C omega with 100 grains 777. This past year I hunted with powerbelts and didn't like them. I shot both a deer and bear with awful results. Both times the powerbelts "exploded" when hitting a rib, and no exit hole. Any other bullet choices also welcome.
=============================================

Copper Powerbelts do not explode..... still cheaper & load easier than the Expanders in most Omega bores. A less grunting Barnes for the tighter Omega bores would be the Barnes Spitfires.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:37 AM
bigcountry

still cheaper
Oh yea, I just got 25 barnes for 18 dollars, and 15 powerbelts are still 1 dollara piece.

And by the way, you want tight. Thats the reason for a tight patch. Tight is less blowby and makes teh load real dynamic in all kinds of situations like 150gr loads or 80. Where PB is so limited in this respect.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot Barnes Expanders 250 grain out of my Knight Wolverine with excellent results but they load too hard in the Black Diamond XR. I like the 357 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB sabot in the Black Diamond. I get them at Cabela's. Triple Se7en suggested them and they have been working great. Easy to load and excellent accuracy with 100 grains of Goex.

The SSB's have a spitzer tip and a boattail bottom. They shoot real nice. I suggested them to another poster who owes a Black Diamond XR and he used them to take an elk last year...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Do they sell all copper powerbelts? I have been using lead core, copper plated powerbelts. They put about a 2.5" entrance hole and no exit hole. I found pieces of the bullet as far away as in the neck. Too much meat ruined for me. Anyway, is this a problem with all lead cored bullets, as I have shot T/C shockwaves that came with the gun. I got real nice groups with them, but never hunted with anything other than the powerbelts.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

mooseman44,

PowerBelts are a lead based bullet, the ones that do come with copper on them , the copper is extremly thin, it is not a real copper jacket like you find on pistol/rifle bullets.

The PowerBelt works on the principle that the explosion of the powder causes the base of the bullet to expand and contact the riflings on the way out the barrel. A real copper jacket of any significant thickness would present a problem with this expansion. The copper does however IMO reduce the amount of lead fouling accumulation in the barrel and provides better areodynamics through the air when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Cayugad has done quite a bit of experimenting with the PowerBelt and he believes it can be overshot by using to much of a powder charge.

If your Barnes will go down the barrel comfortably, they are by far a better bullet in most situations. They should not need to be pounded down the barrel.

I, myself, have been shooting Nosler Partitions over the years and have found then to serve my purose really well. A Swift "A" frame bullet will accomplish the same thing. For deer the 260 grain is a killer even at extended ranges (as I would think the Barnes is)
Old 03-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

If it is an exit hole you want.. switch to the copper plated Aero Tips. From all I have read, they penetrate better. As for lots of meat damaged from the lead hollow core powerbelts, it sounds like they did just what they are intended to do.. extensive internal damage. The copper plated hollow points might help with the internal damage a little but I would not expect much.

Were you having knock down power with the powerbelts or perhaps they ran off and left no blood trail. If that is the case then as Sabotloader said, switch to something else. Those shockwaves should do real good in that deparment..
Old 03-03-2005, 02:20 PM

Cayugad,

I didn't knock down either animal. The deer luckily fell within sight. The bear however ran off into the thick brush (in New Brunswick). The bear went only 100 yards or less, but without an exit hole it took us almost an hour to track it (mostly on hands and knees). I like to know that when I hit an animal I can find it quickly and easily. I hate to give up on the powerbelts. They load so easy and shoot very good out of my gun (to 100 yards). Do you think I will get fragmentation with the shockwaves, or have problems loading the barnes? Thanks to all who respond.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do they sell all copper powerbelts? I have been using lead core, copper plated powerbelts. They put about a 2.5" entrance hole and no exit hole. I found pieces of the bullet as far away as in the neck. Too much meat ruined for me. Anyway, is this a problem with all lead cored bullets, as I have shot T/C shockwaves that came with the gun. I got real nice groups with them, but never hunted with anything other than the powerbelts.
============================================

Sounds like new cost-cutting measures with copper-clad Powerbelts has lessened their quality. Hhmmm... will have to keep an eye on more exploding copper Powerbelt posts. May have to quit recommending them if this continues.

Thanks for the feedback

Quick Reply: barnes expanders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.