HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - barnes expanders
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: barnes expanders

mooseman44,

PowerBelts are a lead based bullet, the ones that do come with copper on them , the copper is extremly thin, it is not a real copper jacket like you find on pistol/rifle bullets.

The PowerBelt works on the principle that the explosion of the powder causes the base of the bullet to expand and contact the riflings on the way out the barrel. A real copper jacket of any significant thickness would present a problem with this expansion. The copper does however IMO reduce the amount of lead fouling accumulation in the barrel and provides better areodynamics through the air when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Cayugad has done quite a bit of experimenting with the PowerBelt and he believes it can be overshot by using to much of a powder charge.

If your Barnes will go down the barrel comfortably, they are by far a better bullet in most situations. They should not need to be pounded down the barrel.

I, myself, have been shooting Nosler Partitions over the years and have found then to serve my purose really well. A Swift "A" frame bullet will accomplish the same thing. For deer the 260 grain is a killer even at extended ranges (as I would think the Barnes is)