" />

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

RED DOT SCOPES

Old 03-01-2005, 04:04 PM

Default RED DOT SCOPES

Does anyone use a red dot scope on a muzzleloader?If so what kind do you think is best,was looking in cabelas and there are too many to choose from
Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: RED DOT SCOPES

I have RED DOT scopes on two different muzzleloaders (inlines) because of the restrictions of Wisconsin reference scopes and black powder season. RED DOTS are legal and scopes are not.

Be sure a RED DOT is what you want. They do limit your vision because some of them are in a 28mm tube (The Bushnell Trophy I have are in a 28 mm tube). This really limits what you see so you need to learn to look with both eyes open. Also RED DOTS are only as accurate as their MOA. Bushnell Trophy models (which I have) claim a 3 MOA meaning at 100 yards you should be able to keep all the hits in a 3" cirlce. They will do that but I always consider the RED DOT a close range sight. If you were going to have long shots I think a good set of fiber optic sights with a green front sight and red back sights are a better investment.

Also when you have a RED DOT on.. under certain light conditions, the dot begins to distort. You then have to adjust the brightness and learn which part is a distortion. They can (not always mind you) start to look like a quarter moon in the lens...

Also look at your rifle close. If your base mounts are on each side of the breech, then you need to make sure the RED DOT you get has an adjustable base. The BSA will not stretch to make the opening on many of the rifles. The Bushnell on the other hand will open enough to cover the opening. My Bushnell has a 3 MOA, a 6 MOA, a + also a 3 MOA with a 10 MOA circle around that. The 3 MOA is the most accurate.

I will say the RED DOT is a fast sighting system with practice. Also it is very accurate with practice. I do not consider them a long range option. 75 yards and under they are a great advantage to an unsuspecting animal.

In low light conditions they are a definate advantage. Last deer season I would come in from hunting the other farm to the house (and after stopping for coffee and hunting talks) and get to my place at dark. When I wanted to fire off the rifle so I could clean it, I could still at the 35 yard station hit a 3" x 5" index card with just enough light outside to make it show up.. All you did was put the dot on the center of the card and fire.... So dim light situations they are an advantage if you like to hunt to the last second of the day....

I always figured if I did not like them I could mount them on some of my handguns and shoot them that way. I think I will keep them right where they are....
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 PM

Thank's cayugad,lot's of info to consider.I am planning on putting one on a Traditions Buckhunter Pro.Do you know what kind of bases fit a Tradition?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

According to my book.. Tradition's Buckhunter (round barrel) the top mounted base is listed as 418m for both the front and rear...
Old 03-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Thank you
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 AM

I'm testing a red dot scope mounted on my Ruger 77/50 ml. I agree with cayugad that they are limited in range when it gets lighter. Some brands will have more bright intensity than others but once again, they are still hard to see in bright light. They are great for the legal dusk and dawn shots and they are fast with target aquisition. As usual, pro & con.