Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powder/Bullet combination for new TC Encore 50?? >

Powder/Bullet combination for new TC Encore 50??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder/Bullet combination for new TC Encore 50??

Old 02-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Spike

Default Powder/Bullet combination for new TC Encore 50??

Have a new TC Encore 50 cal. Anyone have a "Good" suggestion on what type of powder/bullet combination would work best with this ML. Looking to find a combo first hand to avoid a lot of wasted time and money going through several varieties.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powder/Bullet combination for new TC Encore 50??

Muzzleloading bores are all different... unlike centerfires. Some Omegas have tight bores - meaning it may be a good idea to buy a 50-pk of plastic sabots & exchange them with the ones that come with your bullets.

For easiest loading, I use
Black Harvesters in 45/50 with .451 bullets
Green MMP in 44/50 with .429 bullets

No bore butters with sabots.... swab with a small spray bottle filled 50-50 with Windex & rubbing alcohol. Swab often with 777.... usually evey 2nd shot using 100 grains.... after every shot using magnum powder grains.

Omegas are not fussy about bullet size. Any size from 180-400 grains will work.... with 240-300 grains being optimum size.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Oh what a wonderful world it would be if all ML's would shoot the
same way, with the same powder/bullet combination. But here in the
real world I'm afraid it ain't gonna happen. As far as I know there
is no substitute ; for trying diff. powder/bullet combinations. Then
armed with that info.....PRACTICE.....PRACTICE.....PRACTICE. I
wish you good luck maybe it will not be as hard to figure out as it
was for me.......LOL
Old 03-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Encore50,
I have an Encore .50 cal also, it will not shoot Powerbelts no matter what weight, or powder configuration. It will shoot the Shockwave bullets in all weights 2" or less at 100 yards. I find that 777 works very well. The Shockwave are tight in my rifle, and you need to spit patch between shots. You have a lot of time to work with it before next year, try a few different types of bullets, you might find one that you like better.

Swatts
Old 03-13-2005, 08:17 PM

Swats has it right on.

Shoot Shockwaves, I prefer the 250 grainers, w/ 777. I keep a powerbelt w/ powder ready for a second shot. Reason being is that sabots are very tight in the Encore. Powerbelts almost fall all the way to the powder (why I think the people I know that shoot Encores have poor luck w/ powerbelts). But, after your first shot, if you need a finisher, just drop two pellets of 777 and a powerbelt, it will load very easily, and you can be reloaded in seconds.

W/ some practice and work ups for your gun, you should be able to really do well w/ the shockwaves.

R
Hank
Old 03-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Encore,
Recomendations are just loads to try in your TC., that does'nt mean it's going to shoot the same
in your rifle.You have to spend time and money to see what your TC likes.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:28 PM

The very first load I would recommend to anyone to try out is either the 250 grain shockwaves or hornady SST which are the same thing anyway with 100 grain 777 pellets although I know of some people putting in 150 grain 777 pellets and getting good accuracy. Myself, I use the 250 grain shockwaves with 130 grain 777 pellets and get 2" groups at 150yds out of my Optima, a buddy of mine uses the 250 grain SST followed by 150 grain 777 pellet out of a T/C Encore and gets the same accuracy. Neither guns liked the powerbelts either when we tried them.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Spike

Well enough said about using the Powerbelts! I have heard that the Encore isn't a big fan of Powerbelts on other forums too. TC service reps. also said they prefer the Shockwaves since they haven't tested the Powerbelts at their factory. Thanks to all for the advise. Shockwaves with 777 will be my starting point!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that the Encore isn't a big fan of Powerbelts on other forums too.
=============================================

I would not rely on that information. I am not a Powerbelt user. I buy bulk bullets/bulk sabots... recently Speer Gold Dot 270 SPs & Harvester sabots. There are isolated incidents where any ML bullet made gets poster-complaints in multi-forums. 50 caliber Powerbelts "in all grain sizes", shoot well enough to hunt whitetails with the proper powder grains & having a fouled barrel (Powerbelt recommends).

You will also likely find that at least three different Powerbelt grain sizes will shoot with pinpoint accuracy in most Encore 50s. Using field tests, Gun Tests Magazine last year rated CCHP Powerbelts as the 2nd best ML bullet after Barnes. Yesterday, I received my copy of Blackpowder Hunting Magazine & the CCAT Powerbelts were rated the overall #1 hunting bullet using similar tests.

If all you care about is weight retention/no fragmentation, then you are not including other aspects of a good hunting bullet like accuracy, ease of loading, penetration, expansion... etc. Overall.... dependent on shot location inside of a deer, it's hard to beat non-lead Powerbelts.