Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hard to load sabots/bullet combination >

Hard to load sabots/bullet combination

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hard to load sabots/bullet combination

Old 03-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard to load sabots/bullet combination

When I was out with Suzie on Sunday I was having a hard time feeding her the sabot/bullet combination that I had. Nice and accurate but a bear to load.

Any suggestions. I was using the 240 gr .452 dia XTP Mag in a TC Renegade
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM

Default RE: Hard to load sabots/bullet combination

Try some of the Harvester Crush Bib Sabots

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Old 03-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second the Crushed Rib Sabots. I shoot Barnes Expanders MZ's and the sabots that came with the Barnes were terrible to load in my CVA Wolf. Switched to the Crushed Ribs and had no other problems.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Well the crushed rib might be easier to load, but take some of the hard to load sabots with you. The Crushed rib might not give you the accuracy you want out of the rifle. That does not mean to try them. They might work just fine, but any time you change any part of your loading schedule, you run the risk of effecting accuracy. Sometimes for the sake of accuracy we have to work a little harder. For instance, the harder to load sabots, or swabbing between shots to name a few.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found to hard to load will cause flyers, and to easy will shoot all over the target, I like to keep the different sabots on hand and try them with the breach plug out at home before I take it to the range.
It sounds like either the regular harvester the MMP HPH24 or the Crush Rib is what you need.
My TC"s like the MMP HPH24,except the Triumph it likes the Crush Rib, all the Knights like the MMP12, I use PRB only ib my home made Hawken and the under hammer original likes MMP12. Lee
Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

I am wondering if you were not trying to load MMP HPH-12 sabots that normally come with a Hornady bullet.

I would not go to the "crush rib" unless you need to as I think it will be to thin for the Renegade and you will loose pressure, and before the "crush ribs i would suggest the MMP HPH-3p-EZ load. It is slightly thicker than the "crush rib". It also has shorter petals than the "crush rib"

In my Renegades I shoot either the 250 grain or 300 grain Gold Dot and I use an MMP HPH-24 sabot. The 24 sabot goes down very well and will provide a complete seal. The other alternative, especially shooting those short 240's is the Harvester regular sabot.

I know of know good way to tell which black sabots you have - whether they are 12's or 24's but from your loading description I would imagine 12's.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

It's been my expierience that the xtps you buy with sabots usually are the 12s. I switched them out like sabotloader says with the 24s and they load a little easier.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader,

That was what I was thinking that they were HPH12's. I'll order some HPH24's and try them. I didn't have "original" as I bought the bullets in bulk. I don't have the original package for the sabots either so I'm just guessing. I'll get some 24's.

I'm saveing the one's you sent me for the Omega workout once the snow is gone.

If the 24's don't work I'll take a boo at the crushribs.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

Go ahead and try the 24's and the 3p's out of that collection I sent you... I can easily replace them... besides it would be better to know what you want to order.... Then let me know what you used... It is probly easier for me to send you some plastic inserts than it is for you to get them into Canada from MMP... although you can alwayts use PR...

besides right now I am a bit heavy in sabots... got a double order yesterday beside all the MMP's that are in the shop...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL

Looks like you are going to be busy. You're right I can get them through PR.

Quick Reply: Hard to load sabots/bullet combination

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.