Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tried out my powerstem in knight >

Tried out my powerstem in knight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried out my powerstem in knight

Old 02-19-2005, 08:40 PM
bigcountry

Default Tried out my powerstem in knight

Finally got around to trying my powerstem (they use on the .52) with 777 ffg loose and 250gr Barnes Expanders and magnum subbase. I was a little skeptical at first but really impressed after trying. I got 1" groups at 50 yards with 120gr of 777 and got 2.5" groups at 100 yards with 130gr of 777. Kinda worried to go past that even though Knight says its perfectly safe. But this matches the performance of 3 777 pellets. I got a knight disc elite with a 1-5X20mm VariX III. So 100 yard precision shooting ain't easy. But its consistency really impressed me. Now I can get away from pellets and still have great performance. Moved out to 200 yards and had a significant 6" drop but one 5" group and one 6" group.

Bad news is cleaning out that stem. I just accidently stuffed some paper in the stem cleaning it out and can't figure out how to get it out since its so much longer than a regular breech plug.

It also seemed much cleaner than pellets or loose with the regular breach plug. I mean almost no fouling at all. Bad thing is alot of crud gets built up below the stem in the gun, but no crud ring. But it was 15 shots. Also even though I used knight grease on the threads it was a bear getting off.

One thing to add, is it doesnt like weak loads. I got 3" groups with 100gr of 777 at 50 yards. Not sure if it is cause it ignites the powder so close to the top or what.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tried out my powerstem in knight

bigcountry a very interesting report. It sounds like a good idea but I will stick with what I have. As for the groups.. very impressive. Especially the 200 yard shooting. This was off a bench rest I take it, but still it is nice to know that if all things are perfect you could take a shot that far out with that kind of trust in your rifle to make a good hit.

Also interesting that it liked stronger powder charges. Am I understanding that you did not try any pellets in this test? It would have been interesting too...

Again, a great range report.....
Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Tried out my powerstem in knight

No, you can't shoot pellets with a powerstem. Only loose. Don't blame ya for sticking with what you got. Just some midwinter playing for me. Finally got out that paper in the stem with a drill bit. Going to get pipe cleaners. For those who don't know what I am talking about, here is a pict. I could not even imagine taking a 200 yard shot with a muzzleloader. I just get too many POI changes to think about it. Now 150 maybe.