Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 traditional or inline? >

traditional or inline?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

traditional or inline?

Old 02-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: traditional or inline?

I prefer my 1770 stlyed Carolina long rifle that I built back in the '80s...
It has a curly maple stock, siler flintlock, lancaster daisy patch box, a couple of silver inlays that I made from silver quarters and a 38 inch Rayle barrel in .54 caliber rifled one in 72...With .530 diameter balls that I make myself I can keep all shots within 1 1/2 inch at 50 yards and 2 1/2 at 100...My eyes just aren't what they used to be...I purchased the parts from the late Bob Hunt from Winston-Salem...rest his soul...super guy...was very patient with all my questions...even helped me align the touch hole...which is critical...I wouldn't take $5,000 for this rifle...and will be passed on to my middle daughter...she watched me during the 2 years it took me to bulid...she was about 2 at the time...I have killed at least 20 deer with this gun...

I also have a Bob Watts mountain rifle in .40 caliber, also with a siler flintlock and 42 inch barrel...I killed my first wild turkey with this in VA in 1979...used a wing bone call that I made (rifles are legal in VA)...still use to squirrel hunt with...

I broke down and bought a Knight Disc with a 22" barrel about 5 years ago...I do carry...have killed 3 deer with...it shoots well and has a Leupold 3x9x40 scope on...I use this when I know the deer are moving late and the scope does help now that I'm almost 50....We have too many deer in NC and we own 3 farms...so sometimes it time to thin the does....But I usually carry my .54...
Old 02-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

I was just wondering if you guys prefer hunting with traditional or new inline style muzzle loaders?
By personal choice, I hunt only with traditonal rifles, shooting my own cast round balls and black powder.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:44 PM

I hunted with a TC Hawken, which I suppose is close to what would be considered a traditional. I have friends with flint locks who would agrue with that, but it's close enough for me. I stopped using it this year and sold it. I just got tired of carrying it and I got a TC Black Daimond XR that I put a peep sight on. I might have gotten something else had the muzzle loading regulations allowed it but I had to find something that took either #11 caps or musket caps for ignition - and this BD seemed to fit the bill. It's also a lot lighter than the Hawken.
Look at the regulations where you hunt, and if you can use anything get whatever floats your boat. If not, tailor your selection to what your Fish and Game regs will allow.
I'll add that this is the first in-line I've had - it's a lot like a center fire rifle - instant ignition when you pull the trigger, it points and feels like a CF rifle too and it's accurate. All in all...I'm happy with it.