Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Inline or Traditional >

Inline or Traditional

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline or Traditional

Old 03-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Inline or Traditional

Do you shoot inline or traditional? I dont shoot black powder but I would like to. If I did I would use a tompson 54cal. I heard that the inline are more acurate. I think the traditional would be funner.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Inline or Traditional

I would never say that an in-line is more accurate then a traditional muzzleloader. Accuracy is a matter of what loads you work up for your rifle, and how much you practice. I own both, in-lines and traditional rifles. Both will shoot exceptional groups.

I agree you have picked a great caliber in the .54 class. Look at the Thompson Center, CVA, Tradition, A&H, and the Lyman rifles. They are the best in tradition style. I am not sure how many of them offer a .54 caliber anymore. The twist you will pick will for the most part decide what kind of projectile you will shoot, although there are some rifles that shoot about anything you stuff down them.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

I went thru the same thing a while back and decided to go traditional. I have a replica of a Kentucky long rifle. My thinking was that if I was going to use a muzzleloader, it ought to look like a muzzleloader did from years back. If state laws would allow it, I'd have a coonskin cap, but we have to wear blaze orange.

Only thing was, I couldn't quite bring myself to buy a flintlock because of all the work loading it in the woods. I have a caplock. I intend to carry it during both the regular firearms season and the muzzleloader season.

Bruce
Old 03-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Bruce I bet that is a good shooter. A real nice choice for a sidelock. I do not blame you for going with a cap lock. I own a number of muzzleloaders and none of them are flintlocks. I never had the patients to learn to tune one and use one, although I have considered getting one now just for fun. The problem is around here is lack of black powder.

I do want to say, there is nothing wrong with the new in line rifles. For years I had the attitude that if it was not a traditional rifle it was not a true muzzleloader. Then I got two of them for Christmas. Believe me, they are not really that different then the sidelocks. Actually there are some good buys out there on in lines right now. If the traditional aspect is not all that important, an inexpensive in line can be bought, and a load figured out for it and you can be up and shooting in no time. The same is true of the sidelocks.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:29 PM

I got back into black powder about 4 years ago,having a long layoff from the sport,about 15 years.I first started with an inline ,then another inline and now two sidelocks ,tell you the truth I love to shoot them all.
I seem to favor now the sidelocks over the inlines ,one flinter and a percussion lock.I think the sport of BP is to have fun enjoying shooting.\
I find the sidelock a little more interesting to shoot only because of the iron sight compared to the scope inlines I have.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I now use inline, my accuracy has improved but we can use scopes here so I believe that can attest for the improvements in accuracy performance. My effective range has increased although I still max my range at 150 Yards, which is slightly higher than previous models I used.

I think ML is fun no matter what the choice would be, but I will say since buying an inline I shoot a lot more than I did previously.

Choice is yours, either way it is a great sport.

Good Luck
Old 03-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

you answered your own question. you think it would be more fun to use a traditional muzzleoader. my first year of muzzleloader hunting i bought a thompson center new englander and a knight disc rifle. i hunted with the new englander and killed my first doe under 50 yards and was hooked. i dont usually hunt an open area so when i saw what an iron site could do at that distance i saw no need to go with an inline with a scope. i sold the knight but may consider an inline down the road again for extreme foul weather hunting . the cva optima looks nice
Old 03-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Traditional for me is like stepping back in time. It's all about the hunt and getting close to game. I had people say that a inline was so much better than a precussion or a flintlock. They didn't think that when coming back from the range against my Great Plains Lyman. Inlines no doubt should be an accurate muzzleloader. I'd say in the hands of marksmen just flip a coin on either and the result is the same. Inlines do have a more fool proof ignition and in many hunting situations that can mean the difference of taking game and not taking game. I've yet to have my Lymans not go off even in damp weather. But keeping that cap and nipple dry is a must. So is unloading the gun everynight after the hunt and not have a condensation build up. I say when you can punch holes in holes you have a great muzzleloader inline or traditional.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:17 AM

I would goto a shop that has all kinds and see what stands out. I have a T/C Renegade .54cal sidelock, Where I hunt the deer are nice a close and my ren is a great short shoot. What I mean is a in-line shoots straighter, not as much of a rainbow. That is why with the help of more powder they reach out to 200+ yards. I just like the Trad's that is why I have The renegade (hawkens). Good Luck You'll love shooting the smokepole.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

in my eyes if you want to buy an inline just buy a ruger no1.....still a single shot rifle.......basically all an inline is.....cept you have to be a little better on cleaning........i have a tc 50cal hawken flintlock....now i dont want to hunt with anything else........and its a blast to shoot.....and the looks you get from guys hunting with rifles and such is great......i didnt know if id like it.....but it turns out i love it......its a blast......i hunted in pouring rain for 6 hours one day......at the end of the day..cracked back the hammer....set the hair trigger.....THAboom!!!!!! went off like nothing happend.....i was proud of myself.....thats a true test......getting a flinter to stay dry all day in pouring rain with wind.......good luck with whatever you choose.....i went traditional.......the only way id shoot an inline is if i absolutely had to hunt with a ml......id buy one for the serious rains......

Quick Reply: Inline or Traditional

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.